Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 04, 2016, 02:29:11 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2017: MMAHW! (Make My Active Hours Work!)  (Read 302 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • "In my dreams, I always do it right."
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2017: MMAHW! (Make My Active Hours Work!)
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »
I just had to post this when I had the idea after Windows 10 asked me to reboot my computer again, and I dreaded when it automagically reboots.

Problem: Windows Active hours are only 12 hours max.  For contractors like me, this sucks.  My active hours for work are 8AM to 12AM.  Many people have said that it checks if it's outside your hours to see if there's activity, so you don't need it.  Bull!  I went upstairs outside of my active hours to make some coffee.  And came back to find my computer unusable for over an hour while it did it's thing.  Unacceptable!  I could turn updates off- I found something to do that.  But not to extend my active hours.

Solution:  I found the registry key, tested it, and it does actually set the hours in the app.  Not sure if it works beyond 12 hours though... but I came up with my idea for the NANY entry... an interface that allows you to set your active hours to however long you want to set it.  Then, every hour on the half hour to make sure I don't miss it, it updates your Active Hours start to 1 hour after your span, and updates the end to 1 hour after your revolving end.  Basically using the algorithm: -6 hours < current time < +6 hours.

I can be the change I want to see!  Hopefully, it won't trigger the Microsoft update to fix the hole in their scheme.

If someone doesn't want to wait for me to do it, the keys are as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings\ActiveHoursStart
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings\ActiveHoursEnd

Though, given that it's trying to restart my computer NOW, it will probably be up in some form sooner than later.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • The Blog of Deozaan
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2017: MMAHW! (Make My Active Hours Work!)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:22:30 PM »
This sounds mighty useful! I'm looking forward to your entry. :)