topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)  (Read 9655 times)

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:24 AM »
h0wdy!

This idea is brainstorming the quantum computer- 'also known as the inside of my head' -for some time now.
I'll try to make this as briefly as possible: It all starts with my music collection. I have a pretty big MP3-releases
task which generates around 10gb (or more) of new albums and/or ep's, monthly! Because I try to check all of
them out (I know, that blows my mind everytime I realize it) there isn't always enough time to do some descent
sorting: and not enough time often means less overview and more getting lost.

I have been lost on several ways my life... * bla bla bla * (off-topic situation has been blocked by blaat.vbs)

We are getting closer at the actual 'issue:' best of/favorite tracks. While checking all of these tracks out often
I hear some sounds that deserve the awesomeness rating. Tracks I really diggg. One solution for that is by using
a simple but great Winamp plugin. Actually, two plugins. The one I use most is 'Send-To' plugin: basicly you point
a folder on your computer where you would like to store favorite tracks. After that all that it takes is clicking the
right mouse button on a track of choice directly from within the Winamp Playlist. And BOOOM. It's done.

SendTo.pngIDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)

The second plugin is 'Yar-matey! Playlist Copier.' It also adds a context menu item- but this one appears in the
main menu context (the older versions < v1.07).

gen_yar.pngIDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)

Another option: LastFM. Anyway, for me it once added nice functionality. But since they changed to the newstyled version of the
service, they basicly killed it. They really pissed me off (and many others) on removing the build in export functions. Those where
a big part of the reason I was using the audioscrobbler in the first place. I still use the scrobbler these days, but more as an extra
until the day that something else pops up...

** but ain't no popping much for long long time
                                              in a galaxy far far away... **

★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ . ...somewhere   ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸ .  ★ ° :.  .

After years, suddenly... POPPPPP!  :Thmbsup:
And here is where you guys blend in, hopefully. Just imagine with me...
What if you can right click any mp3 file in Windows Explorer and there was a context menu item that makes it possible to mark/tag
a track as favorite? What if that mark is not only placed inside the id3 (or elsewhere).. but what if it also makes the file.mp3 in
explorer more visual. Like a user given change of color in text or text background- like an actual marker? To give you an better idea
I made a screenshot of a folder an edited it with paint. So I faked it, but you get the picture!

Screenshot_2.pngIDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)

This would be the most basic concept. If it is possible to code into something, that might turn out to be pretty damn cool. From
there I have a bunch of other idea's- but I'll save them for now until the party started. Just wonder what your opion(s) are on this
subject. Thank you for your time so far, hope something good will evolve from it ..

:)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:13 AM »
One quick comment.  While the entirety of the idea seems very specific to your needs, one small part of it seems like it might be generally useful.  There are many times when I want to remember the location of a file..  A little right-click file extension with an item "Add to favorite files" which just added the file path to a text file that I could open and browse would be neat.

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:10 AM »
One quick comment.  While the entirety of the idea seems very specific to your needs, one small part of it seems like it might be generally useful

Yes absolutely!
This might come in handy for .pdf /.txt and so on. Thought about that before. I have no idea on how to embed it but you could think like what twitter uses (hashtagging).
Maybe its even possible to add #private #2016 somewhere inside the metadata. Or put it directly at the end of a filename?

~~brainstorming enabled~~

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:51 AM »
One quick comment.  While the entirety of the idea seems very specific to your needs, one small part of it seems like it might be generally useful.  There are many times when I want to remember the location of a file..  A little right-click file extension with an item "Add to favorite files" which just added the file path to a text file that I could open and browse would be neat.

That sounds interesting... I might try to whip something up for NANY. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Yes please!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Let me just point out that if you simply added the file paths to a text file, with one line per file, it would be trivial to use a simple FARR alias to display and search this list of files on demand, using the #filecontents function of FARR.

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 12:54 PM »
using the #filecontents function of FARR.

I am still bit of a noob: started out with AutoHotkey which went great at first. Than, during my more chaotic episodes in time I lost track at some point. Started out a similar kind of
adventure with Python. So basicly I am still very far from it all. But I have used FARR... will check it out later tonight. It doesnt sound to difficult just yet so there's hope  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Wow! I haven't seen that WinAmp UI in ages! :D

Ah, the memories! :Thmbsup: :-*

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 01:22 PM »
http://www.avsoft.nl...ows-media-player.htm is the last known address for the perfect program for you, but the homepage is closed - and 'gone' took my copy.

... find a program to copy the music files in my daughters Windows Media Player 10 playlist (.wpl file) to another directory while maintaining the original folder structure.  AV Media Copy from www.avsoft.nl does something similar ...

-excellent program!  :up:

It hasn't been updated for more than five years, (yes, this is a very old thread), but I had no problem at all, installing and using it on Vista. The GUI is logic, the procedure easy, and the copying is fast. Of course it can handle several playlist file types, including M3U playlists, not just WPL. The organization of the new folders were not important to me, so I just unchecked that option, and all 372 files from my playlist were soon gathered in a new folder.

(...)", but I think the little free program in mention, AV Media Copy, is worth knowing about in general - more people than JeffK and me must sometimes want to copy a playlist's content, the actual music files, to another location without burning anything:
-Curt

a better link: http://www.avsoft.nl/index.php/wmp/av-media-copy-for-windows-media-player.htm
The msi installation file is merely 428 Kb

This little program made my day. Thanks for telling, JeffK   :up:
One micro detail: The folder order is of course not AlbumArtist\Artist, but AlbumArtist\Album

I have just used AV Media Copy to update the above mentioned collection, using the same long playlist. The program didn't protest or ask silly questions, it just skipped the already existing files and copied the two new files into the folder. Yes, AV Media Copy is old, and it has extremely few features, but they work. :up:

link: AV Media Copy (transfer playlist content) - DonationCoder.com
-Curt
https://www.donation...79.msg16251#msg16251

@n8wachT. AV Media Copy is no longer to be found, except if someone has kept a copy, but it might very well be the one you're asking for. Unfortunately the name itself makes it impossible to search for.

I now remember one more weakness: .NET Framework version 1.1 is needed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:13 PM by Curt, Reason: Framework 1.1 »

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:54 AM »
AV Media Copy is no longer to be found

h0wdy!

Thnx for all, but... that's not realy what I'm looking for. I already have great extensions for my mediaplayer from which I can build playlists and copy the
files directly from the program. I''m more looking towards a utility that marks the files in Windows Explorer- by colored tags for instance. And the ultimate
possible thing would be that this can be handled from within Winamp as well- or the other way around. Example: I favorite a winamp track and copy the
item to a pre-defined folder. The original file stays in the original directory only gets color marked.

I'm still looking into the options for this regarding FARR. And I did some browsing. Actually came across a tool that allows the marking of files. Sadly the
free version is very limited. I was hoping to find a freeware-like program: Rainbowfolders does a great job on colored tagging (but like it says, with folder).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I'm still looking into the options for this regarding FARR. And I did some browsing. Actually came across a tool that allows the marking of files. Sadly the
free version is very limited. I was hoping to find a freeware-like program: Rainbowfolders does a great job on colored tagging (but like it says, with folder).

This type of program is not easy to code and even harder to make work consistently across the various versions of Windows.  Based on the screenshots and product website, this seems to be exactly what you need.  If the free version works well enough on your system, you should consider buying the full product.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:22 PM »

This type of program is not easy to code and even harder to make work consistently across the various versions of Windows.  Based on the screenshots and product website, this seems to be exactly what you need.  If the free version works well enough on your system, you should consider buying the full product.

As someone who is looking into this... you said a mouthful.  Still have time to get it in before NANY... but... yeah.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Yessir...anytime you start working with a shell-type extension, or anything deeply integrated into the context menu, it's a right PITA to support across the differing Windows OSes.  So many changes from one to the next.

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 06:06 PM »
working with a shell-type extension, or anything deeply integrated into the context menu, it's a right PITA to support across the differing Windows OSes

Think I know what you mean, like the 64bit or 32 version (what confused me many times, without being deeply integrated  :D)

I'm gonna check out the tool and headback when I got some results.

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 08:40 PM »
Let me just point out that if you simply added the file paths to a text file, with one line per file, it would be trivial to use a simple FARR alias to display and search this list of files on demand, using the #filecontents function of FARR.

What is 'simply' for you masters of coding can give a nightowL like me the kind of headache like... KWAZZAAAAM!

But unbelievable, I managed to create an beginning by using FARR and understand at least a part of how/what it works.
It asks a whole different way of thinking that I'm not used to, but I think when I finally get more used to it.....  Thnx!! :Thmbsup:

donation2.jpgIDEA: Mp3-Favoriter (in o.a. Windows Explorer)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 08:42 PM »
The #filecontents function of FARR is pretty advanced stuff, the fact that you have gotten as far as you have already is an accomplishment! Keep going!

n8wachT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • LinkList
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Keep going!

Thanks!  :D

Is it also possible like, using #filecontents to quickly browse throug lists of your favorite websites, favorited mp3's etc. ?
Think I see the potential it has. Looking forward to spend some time exploring it all. Keep me posted if you get any briljant
idea's on the 'file favoriter concept'