ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

should I be using a VPN? why? what about the recent deals?

<< < (2/6) > >>

holt:
Here is one possible scenario which may favor a switch to a VPN or TOR;

holt:
Here's another good reason to use a VPN or TOR; a little more fanciful, but there do exist those who would fit the scenario (stalkers), if only they had the ways & means;

holt:
Pardon my sarcastic wit, but while alternate news web surfing in encrypted and ad-blocked TOR mode, I was reading a news article when suddenly the following message popped up and blocked the web page;
We've noticed that you are using an ad blocker.
Advertising helps fund our journalism and keep it truly independent. It helps to build our international editorial team, from war correspondents to investigative reporters, commentators to critics.
Click here to view instructions on how to disable your ad blocker, and help us to keep providing you with free-thinking journalism - for free.
Thank you for your support.
While I admit to being curious about the rest of the news article that I missed out on when the pop-up appeared, I'm not the slightest bit interested in disabling either TOR or my ad-blocker. For one thing, there was a recent report that people who were willing to disable their ad-blockers, were promptly treated to a deluge of malware-infested ads which their ad-blockers had been filtering out.
So No, I'm neither tech-dumb enough not to know how to disable the ad-blocker I had installed, nor witless enough to leave myself open to malware, to heed the pop-up's 'how-to' prompt; two blinks and I had closed the web page to web surf elsewhere that isn't so picky.
'So many alt-news articles; so little me'.  8)

holt:
Anonymous Speech - The IT Law wiki.
Inherent in the panoply of protections afforded by the ((American)) First Amendment is the right to speak anonymously in diverse contexts.[2] This right arises from a long tradition of American advocates speaking anonymously through pseudonyms, such as James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, who authored the Federalist Papers but signed them only as "Publius."

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "an author's decision to remain anonymous . . . is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment."[3] This is because "the interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry."[4] The Supreme Court has also held that there is "no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to . . . [the Internet] medium."[5] Accordingly, "it is clear that speech over the internet is entitled to First Amendment protection" and that "this protection extends to anonymous internet speech."[6]

4wd:
Anonymous Speech - The IT Law wiki.
Inherent in the panoply of protections afforded by the ((American)) First Amendment is the right to speak anonymously in diverse contexts.[2] This right arises from a long tradition of American advocates speaking anonymously through pseudonyms, such as James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, who authored the Federalist Papers but signed them only as "Publius."

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that "an author's decision to remain anonymous . . . is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment."[3] This is because "the interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry."[4] The Supreme Court has also held that there is "no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to . . . [the Internet] medium."[5] Accordingly, "it is clear that speech over the internet is entitled to First Amendment protection" and that "this protection extends to anonymous internet speech."[6]-holt (November 26, 2016, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

All of which only applies to American Citizens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version