topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OneDrive Crashing in Windows 10  (Read 4687 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OneDrive Crashing in Windows 10
« on: October 12, 2016, 07:52 PM »
I just purchased a new surface.  One of the reasons I went with the 128GB is because I could add that much via the micro SD slot for cheaper than upgrading.  So I did.  My plans were to put all of my sync folders and dev folders on that card, and use the other for programs.  I had to jump through some hoops because Dropbox doesn't allow you to use an SD Card, but I created a junction, and everything is fine.  Or I thought so.

Suddenly, OneDrive started crashing on startup with no message.  I checked the event logs, and that was not very useful - fault in ntdll.dll.  I was about to give up, and just change my plans, when I came across a link that gave a possible solution- change it from exFAT (the default on those cards) to NTFS.  So, went through moving everything to my internal, then formatting it... then moving it back... and lo and behold, it started working again.

Just posting this here in case anyone else has a similar problem (and hoping that it stays stable).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OneDrive Crashing in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:09 AM »
Here at DC, 4wd linked recently to a format tool which allows you to format drives with a capacity till 2TByte in FAT32. Which is the actual maximum for FAT32, but everyone is so accustomed to the 32GByte limits MS imposed  on us with Windows for so long, it has become the unofficial limit.

NTFS has many advantages over FAT32, however, if you plan to use the card in different devices, FAT32 would be smarter to use, because it is the most widely supported file system, no matter the operating system that any of your devices is using.

Just thought to mention it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:12 AM »
It is to be a permanent drive to expand the internal capacity.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Keep an eye on it for awhile. I went the JP route with mine (albeit a few versions ago) and found it to be a complete nightmare of weird assed behavior (sync half the files/none of the files/part of a file[Yeah...])

I finally gave up and skipped the JP when I got a new machine.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:28 PM »
The JP route?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Junction Point, perhaps?

I, too, experienced problems with Dropbox and Junctions in the past:

I just tested out using Junctions to point "My Dropbox\Games\Diablo II\save" to "Games\Diablo II\save" and it appears to be working properly as far as the fact that it's the same folder and same files, unfortunately it doesn't work at all with regard to Dropbox recognizing the files are changing and synchronizing to the cloud or to other computers.

Has anyone else successfully gotten something like this to work with Dropbox?

Like Stoic Joker, I finally gave up on that.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 03:08 PM »
NTFS has many advantages over FAT32, however, if you plan to use the card in different devices, FAT32 would be smarter to use, because it is the most widely supported file system, no matter the operating system that any of your devices is using.

The biggest problem with FAT32 these days is the 4GB filesize limit. Or is it 2GB? Either way, it's just too small.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Junction Point, perhaps?

I, too, experienced problems with Dropbox and Junctions in the past:

I just tested out using Junctions to point "My Dropbox\Games\Diablo II\save" to "Games\Diablo II\save" and it appears to be working properly as far as the fact that it's the same folder and same files, unfortunately it doesn't work at all with regard to Dropbox recognizing the files are changing and synchronizing to the cloud or to other computers.

Has anyone else successfully gotten something like this to work with Dropbox?

Like Stoic Joker, I finally gave up on that.

Ah... duh!  ;D  I didn't actually use a Junction, I used a Symbolic Link- I mis-stated myself above.

i.e. mklink /d c:\users\username\folder1 d:\folder1

A really good document on the differences: http://www.2brightsp...d-Symbolic-Links.pdf