topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Articy:Draft SE -- Experience or Opinions?  (Read 3259 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Articy:Draft SE -- Experience or Opinions?
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:40 PM »
Have any of our DC writers here heard of or used Articy:Draft SE? More info about what it is here:

http://store.steampo...ered.com/app/230780/

The best that I can tell, it looks like it's pretty much just some flowchart software. I'm trying to see the point/appeal over some other FOSS alternatives. But I have to admit, the marketing has me wanting it even if I'm not exactly sure what supposedly makes it so good.

So I'd love to hear any thoughts, opinions, especially about personal experience with A:D SE, or suggestions for alternatives and how/why they're better than A:D SE.

Thanks!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Articy:Draft SE -- Experience or Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Some of the reviews state what it does better than I'd be able to.  It's definitely beyond just flowcharting- but rather a story writing tool, storing relationships, conditions, branching logic in a manner that's tailored to the task.  You can do everything manually in many other tools.  But there's something about using a tool custom built for the task, with all of the QoL involved.

There's a two week trial in which you can formulate your own opinions, and see if it would be good for your workflow.  I decided that for the level of what I do, it wasn't for me.

http://www.nevigo.com/en/ - that's the actual site for the software.

HTH

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Some of the reviews state what it does better than I'd be able to.  It's definitely beyond just flowcharting- but rather a story writing tool, storing relationships, conditions, branching logic in a manner that's tailored to the task.  You can do everything manually in many other tools.  But there's something about using a tool custom built for the task, with all of the QoL involved.

I just didn't see how that was much different than what you can do with something like Scrivener.

But you may be right. Maybe it's something I'll have to try for myself to get a feel for what it can do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:51 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49 AM »
I use Scrivener.  And though you can do many of the things that you can do with Articy:Draft with Scrivener, there is a difference in focus.  Similar tasks, but different ends.  And as such, there is a distinct difference in the execution, purpose, and focus of the software.  That is the reason that I, in the end, didn't stay with it when I trialed it, but rather continued to use Scrivener.  I am not doing a good job of explaining the difference- it's a bit in the use, I'm afraid, rather than what I can put into words.  Which is the reason I was glad that I had a trial.  I don't think that anyone would have been able to tell me whether one or the other was for me- but it became obvious quite quickly in use.

Did you watch the feature videos?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Yeah, I watched the videos, but I still felt confused about it afterwards.

I was feeling kind of embarrassed about that, but now I don't feel so bad. I mean, if you've used both Scrivener and Articy and are having a hard time explaining the difference, then how should I be able to figure it out just from watching some videos when I haven't actually used either of them? :D

Thanks again for your input. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 11:15 AM »
LOL!  Yeah... I think it's a matter of degrees and audience, rather than clear cut based on features.  As a writer, it didn't seem geared to me as much as Scrivener.  But, if I was a game designer, I think that it would be geared towards me.  At least, that's the feel I got.