topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone: Choosing between tiny DIY computer kits  (Read 41376 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Are there any of these tiny computers that will run a significantly long time (say 24+ hours continuously) on a pair of AA batteries?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are there any of these tiny computers that will run a significantly long time (say 24+ hours continuously) on a pair of AA batteries?

I think you'd need to buy/make your own power adapter to power it with AA batteries.

It might be better to buy/use one of those cell phone recharger battery things to power the device via USB. Considering those things can recharge a phone a few times on a single charge, I think it should power an SBC for a fairly significant time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fair enough, im open to using larger batteries.. i guess my question is are there any of these tinypcs that are really really designed for minimal power use.  Clearly Raspberry Pi would not make the great.  I'm not sure how much power Arduino draws..

i'd love to see a comparison chart of the time they can run on batteries..

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Onion Omega will run on two AA batteries, it's operating voltage is 3V3.  I have an Omega with the LiPo battery dock, haven't done anything with it, but I could charge it up and see how long it runs for.

From here:
Expect a 1500mAh battery to last about 10 hours, in some cases, up to 12 hours.

Can always use a bigger capacity LiPo or parallel a few cells, grab a 4000mAh phone battery should give you enough power for a day.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:02 AM by 4wd »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like there is a specific board for the Onion Omega to interface with a battery pack: https://wiki.onion.i...Using-the-Power-Dock
Looks like I may be getting an Onion Omega..

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I updated my post but I can't seem to find the Power Dock in their store.

Still shows as available al-la-carte under the Omega2 Kickstarter campaign.  You can still order the Omega2 (Plus) + Dock via the campaign by the looks.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:03 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The C.H.I.P. also has provision for a LiPo cell to power it and doesn't require a separate dock, here's some power consumption figures.