topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [free] Paste As File giveaway  (Read 6753 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[free] Paste As File giveaway
« on: September 30, 2016, 07:23 AM »
2 days 19 hours yadda yadda to get Paste As File free.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Re: [free] Paste As File giveaway
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Yep! :-) They forgot to post the registration key so here it is until they fix it. This key ONLY works with the version on their site, not the one on my site.

—-
Open Paste As File and click on the About button and select About/Check for update.
Enter the following information EXACTLY as it is below.

SharewareOnSale
249B-A300-92B3-C41E

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:10 AM »
SharewareOnSale
249B-A300-92B3-C41E

Thanks for that.  Seems like it will be handy as some browsers make you install an extension to drag drop into another program or onto desktop.  :)

Edit: just to verify, it installed and accepted the reg info.   :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:50 AM by MilesAhead »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 10:20 AM »
I didn't quite get this "FREE giveaway" app, but after looking it up I am quite impressed, though probably for the wrong reasons.

For years I have been accustomed to what (for me) seems to be an ergonomic no-brainer - being able to paste from the Clipboard directly into a folder, and a file is automatically created to hold the contents, either as a .txt (text) file and extension or as a .png (image) file and extension - depending on the contents of the Clipboard being pasted at the time.
I only very occasionally have need to use this functionality.
In fact, as soon as it has been pasted, the file's filename is open (as in F2) for editing and with the cursor positioned ready inside the name, which has a default name "x2scrap".
This is done using xplorer² PRO x64 (a Windows Explorer replacement), but, because I didn't think much of it, I had thought it was probably doing pretty much the same thing as you could do in Windows Explorer, but with maybe the naming bit added. However, I must have thunk wrong as I just now tried it in Windows Explorer, and nothing happened. This is in Win10-64 PRO, Build 14393.

Amazing that this functionality is still not yet built-in as standard to Windows Explorer. I mean, how many years does it take to accommodate likely user needs and fix up the sloppy ergonomics of a critically useful and ubiquitous file management tool?
(Another indictment of Microsoft?)
Sheesh.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Amazing that this functionality is still not yet built-in

Yeah, some things are baffling.  Since the "device crowd" has ousted the "desktop hobbyist" holdovers at Redmond I guess we can assume most of these shortcomings will never be addressed.  Redefining is the way to go.  As example my "New Age" TV Set will only have a volume control that kills power if you turn it all the way counter-clockwise, and a knob which, when rotated, cycles though the available channels.  As a soldier in the war against obesity my TV will have no remote control.  Ass up off the sofa if you want to change the channel!!  :)

michaelkenward

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • Broken monitor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11 PM »
For years I have been accustomed to what (for me) seems to be an ergonomic no-brainer - being able to paste from the Clipboard directly into a folder, and a file is automatically created to hold the contents, either as a .txt (text) file and extension or as a .png (image) file and extension - depending on the contents of the Clipboard being pasted at the time.

This feature is one of the many reasons for using Directory Opus.

Add that to a decent clipboard utility and life becomes so much easier.

As you say, amazing that Windows Explorer lacks this. But how many improvements have we seen there over the years? Maybe I missed them but Windows Explorer does much the same thing as we were used to in Vista and before.

MK

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 01:11 PM »

Same with XYplorer for me. As shown below from the toolbar button for it in the right click menu.

Maybe some ideas in that screenshot for your program as well.

screen_09302016_ver001.png[free] Paste As File giveaway

Note: Only a paid licensed user of XYplorer and no other affiliation.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:19 PM by hamradio »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:42 AM »
A couple of times I have purchased a key for Paste As File. So obviouslly I think it's good. Some guy named jmjsquared thinks the same:

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:11 am

I’ve been a constant user of PasteAsFIle since 2012 (when it still was freeware) and ALWAYS make it one of the first applications I install on my Windows machines. When I truly understood what it is and, correspondingly, what it is not, I found it to be a really convenient, almost indispensable addition to Windows Explorer. So did Martin Brinkman: http://www.ghacks.ne...in-windows-explorer/

For me, the single most useful feature is PAF’s ability to “accurately” reproduce most HTML pages. For example, I want to preserve two reviews preceding my own and put them in the same folder in which today’s freebie’s installer is saved. With PAF, I can simply highlight/select the desired text and images (in this case, Dennis Nelson’s and Melvin Sync’s avatars) and copy same to my clipboard. The result can then be pasted in any folder in a host of formats, including HTML — with all text, images, hyper-links and formatting preserved, usually extremely accurately if not perfectly.

I find PAF indispensable for “clipping” articles from the dozens of online magazines, blogs, newspapers, etc., that I read daily. If you follow the recommendation of the publisher and also choose to install Nirsofer’s >NirCMD<, you make this process even easier.

I find the documentation and help resources are more than adequate in getting the most from this really cool application.

My only complaint is that (perhaps since I also have another clipboard utility, Ditto, running in the background) PasteAsFile will sometimes paste HTML as coded text, rather than the web-display I intended. However, simply re-pasting the contents of the clipboard usually clears the glitch.

I highly recommend giving this neat, little application a thorough workout.
-jmjsquared

The homepage:
http://vdsfreak.com/post/90261660490/paf
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:52 AM by Curt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:55 AM »
A couple of times I have purchased a key for Paste As File. So obviouslly I think it's good. Some guy named jmjsquared thinks the same:

I saw a post from c.gingerich a year old or so referencing it.  When he replied to this thread I did not realize the program was one of his.  Duh!  I thought the program name was familiar!  There are a lot of distractions in Miami and I often miss the obvious.  :) 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Of related interest for plain text operations, a freeware by Horst Schaeffer:

ClipTX 0.10 - Clipboard to file
-------------------------------

ClipTX appends (plain) text from the clipboard to one of several predefined target files. ClipTX only acts on hotkey or mouse click (no automatic collection). The "Quick save" function (hotkey or click on system tray icon) saves the clipboard text to the default target file.

I used to make current awareness bulletins, partly by clipping press releases etc. from the web into HippoEDIT (HE).  I defined a tool inside HE that would save the file temporarily: run a batch file that ran an AWK scrip to pick out the first non-null line of the file: convert any characters that were illegal as file names to legal ones (e.g. colon to semi-colon): write that to a new temporary file: then use Horst's command-line program ClipText to send the title to the clipboard (ClipText is bi-directional, clipboard to file and file to clipboard, unlike the built-in Windows tool).  That way, when I went to save the file in HE and it presented the standard Windows Open/Save dialog, I could paste in the meaningful title.  As a bonus, if the clip turned out to be unicode and I tried to save it as .TXT, HE would ask if I wanted it saved a unicode or text, and when the answer was text, convert the unicode on the fly.