topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: CHS paste while renaming Files/Folders in Windows Explorer  (Read 3660 times)

BigBadPlayer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello Mouser!

I'm using more and more software from DonationCoder.com (replacing my long-time-used applications, like Listary, Greenshot, ArsClip)!
This happened with ArsClip as well, because I had some compatibility issues with some programs I use. However, CHS works well in any circumstances.

Except one: While I'm in Windows Explorer renaming function, hit the "Quick Paste Menu" shortcut, Explorer quits renaming.

I download many files from a website; the file names just numbers, date codes, etc. I need to rename the files based on 2-3 text source. It would be easier, to directly rename them in Windows Explorer (at the moment, I need to quick paste the infos into a note/notepad, then copy the assembled file/folder name).

So, the feature request: is it possible to solve, quick paste from CHS into windows explorer file/folder renaming?

Thank you and the donationcoder staff for great softwares!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm using more and more software from DonationCoder.com

:-* :-* :-*

While I'm in Windows Explorer renaming function, hit the "Quick Paste Menu" shortcut, Explorer quits renaming.

That's a tricky one..  Exiting renaming function is probably unavoidable windows thing.. but if CHS could know you were in renaming function, it could simulate the F2 keypress to start a rename, but that's tricky.

However, I may have a little trick for you :)

CHS waits a small bit of time between when you select an item from quickpaste and when it actually tries to paste it (in order to give the target window time to regain focus).

I think you may find that if you hit F2 right after you select an item from the QuickPaste menu, you'll restart the rename mode and the CHS paste will properly occur in the rename.

Unfortunately that won't help you if you are just trying to quick paste into the middle of an existing filename, rather than completely replacing it.

The best solution in that case might be a small third part shell extension file renamer that would bring up a proper window for renaming files that would let you invoke CHS on the rename editbox as in a normal app.

BigBadPlayer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think you may find that if you hit F2 right after you select an item from the QuickPaste menu, you'll restart the rename mode and the CHS paste will properly occur in the rename.

Unfortunately that won't help you if you are just trying to quick paste into the middle of an existing filename, rather than completely replacing it.

Exactly that is the situtation :) ArsClip was capable to doing this, beside rtf formatting; but I stick to CHS, because it has more other features, which much more important for me.

In some cases F2 trick maybe will useful.

Anyway, I can live with it :)
Thanks for the support!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
ArsClip was capable to doing this

oh? how does ArsClip appear to do it?

BigBadPlayer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh? how does ArsClip appear to do it?
I have taken a look on it: It seems, when I choose a Clip from ArsClip's Quick Paste Menu, Windows Explorer exits from the rename function also; but jump back immediately. May ArsClip remembers the rename function, and the cursor position?