topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 7, 8.1 moving to a cumulative update model  (Read 2960 times)

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 7, 8.1 moving to a cumulative update model
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:56 PM »
HMMM! Windows Update Change

Home users and desktops I see it as a big plus, but for Servers.. I am not sure.

Recently there were a couple security updates that broke several software services running on a business server. Vendor stated to roll back those two security fixes while they come up with a work around.

I am pretty sure the above is pretty common in large business environments.  Now with this single update change.. it's all or nothing.

Update - Modified title to correctly reflect the topic. thanks IainB :). Was a little too miffed at MS when I was typing this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:21 PM by Cloq »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Upates changing to Single update
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:31 AM »
For the time being, there is still WSUS to fall back upon. I also read somewhere that security related updates are bundled separately (for Server editions of Windows). While I get the idea behind this change at MS, they could underestimate the side-effects of many who will disable Windows Update. Lately Windows could be labelled as fairly stable and was making inroads with web-facing servers.

Disabling Windows update isn't a good thing, but with the botching updates that come out of MS lately, it becomes less interesting to have critical servers run on Windows. If it only takes one botched update to stop your business dead in its track...

The Windows operating system isn't the cash cow it once was, but with these kind of moves I am starting to doubt that MS will be putting much effort in continuing with these at all in the not-too-distant future. There is more money to be made with software as a service, which appears to be the mantra these days at MS.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Upates changing to Single update
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31 AM »
While I get the idea behind this change at MS, they could underestimate the side-effects of many who will disable Windows Update.

Maybe not considering how hard it is (for the average user) to do in Windows 10. If they hustle 08 & 7 through the EoL cycle they could have a captive audience of subscribers in no time at all.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Updates changing to Single update
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:39 AM »
Check out: Windows Update MiniTool - Alternative To Windows Update In Windows 10

@Cloq: could you fix the spelling in this thread's opening post title please?