ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (37/51) > >>

Shades:
Done something strange. I was pointed to the Kyocera Brigadier, which is an older model phone (the one I have runs Android 5.1.1), for a total of 80 USD (bying, shipping, flashing to make it work in PY and extra cover. It feels solid, rather heavy in your hand (which I find a plus), lasts 3 days on a battery charge (longer when disabling location, wifi etc.).

Although an older phone it does support NFC and wireless charging. I'm happy to use it as replacement for my current daily driver, a Huawei P8 Lite. The camera is not great on both phones, but that is not a consideration in my mind or use cases.

Anyway, dismissing older model phones immediately would be unwise, especially for the price. There is also it's newer brother, the Kyocera Torque G03, which improves significantly on all hardware specs of the Brigadier model, Android version etc....except for NFC. which is dropped. The website I link to in this post allows you to have specs of several phones next to each other for easier comparison. Also allows to compare prices with several online webstores too. That should make Kalos life (and ours :P) easier.

tomos:
A little over your budget but maybe the Motorola G6 or G6+ (not the G6 Play unless it floats your boat)?

Dedicated uSD slot, available in single or dual SIM config, dual back cameras, reasonably vanilla Android experience (the Moto Actions/Display are actually useful compared to the usual "extras" you get), etc, etc.

Relatively new release, this month I think, so you might need to search for reviews a bit.-4wd (May 03, 2018, 05:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
somehow I had missed this post 4wd, only seen it today -- complete with .de links, thanks :Thmbsup:
Did find a goodish review of the G6 (German language) via one of the amazon.de reviews. It's very positive.
https://www.tariftip.de/handytests/22822/Motorola-Moto-G6-im-Test.html

4wd:
Did find a goodish review of the G6 (German language) via one of the amazon.de reviews. It's very positive.
https://www.tariftip.de/handytests/22822/Motorola-Moto-G6-im-Test.html-tomos (May 06, 2018, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just one thing to be aware of is that Motorola normally only say there will one Android update they'll make available for a model, so for the G6 this means up to Android 9, (or whatever they call it).

After that you'll have to go alternative firmware if you want any later features, (I've no doubt there'll be a Lineage port some time soon for it), but at least Motorola let you unlock the bootloader to facilitate this, (even if they do say your warranty is now void).

If you want to keep more up-to-date then your choices are more than likely to be something in the Android One program or something with a well established alternative ROM community, (check xda forums).

PS. Before anyone jumps in and says "xyz company also updates to every new version", yes I know there are some that do, I'm just too lazy to go look for them  :P

4wd:
ZTE Nubia Z17 Lite - Lite version of the Z17s, very decent hardware specs for $200 - currently pre-order though. Not too bad if you can live with only 64GB of storage.

As a bonus POTUS has put his name behind the company ;)

The other side of the coin.

EDIT: DOH! Just noticed you mentioned it back here :-[

cranioscopical:
As a bonus POTUS has put his name behind the company
-4wd (June 05, 2018, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's a bonus? :o  ;D  ;D  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version