topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for smartphone  (Read 147318 times)

wysiwyg125

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for smartphone
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I'll totally get a OnePlus 5T as soon as possible. They officially support custom ROMs.  :-*

Are OnePlus phones CDMA-compatible? I'm on Verizon

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2017, 09:35 AM »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Mostly.
https://www.androidh...ited-cdma-bands.html

That's a link for the Oneplus 5, here's the Oneplus 5T.

Proprietary fast charging technology is a bit of a downer, would have been better if they just licensed Qualcomm's Quick Charge since the SoC supports it, (you can get QC compatible chargers cheap).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2017, 06:52 PM »
The 5T version was not yet available when I checked. Or was it?
Continued quick charging is probably not the best idea since it will kill your battery over a long time. Use a simple charger when you can.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2017, 08:36 PM »
Continued quick charging is probably not the best idea since it will kill your battery over a long time. Use a simple charger when you can.

On the subject of charging: Battery Charge Limit [Requires root]

Which is based upon: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I am planning to buy Lenovo P2 due to its long battery life, any opinions?

Also, I logged in a wifi that opened a website and asked me to enter my login in order to connect. Now, each time I connect to that wifi, it doesn't open any window to log in, probably it remembers my login from last time.

Is there a way to make it forget the previous login so that I log in with a new login? I tried to 'forget' the network but it didn't work.
Any hint? thanks!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Tapping on the wifi name in question and tapping on 'forget network' should do that

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Tapping on the wifi name in question and tapping on 'forget network' should do that

From his original post, it appears he's already done that.  However, based on his original post, he had to access a website to log in so the WiFi network in question is probably an open network (no password on the actual WiFi network) and he's probably going to have to clear the browser cache on his phone.  Or, at the very least, clear that particular password out of his browser's saved passwords.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2018, 10:03 PM »
However, based on his original post, he had to access a website to log in so the WiFi network in question is probably an open network (no password on the actual WiFi network) and he's probably going to have to clear the browser cache on his phone.  Or, at the very least, clear that particular password out of his browser's saved passwords.

It could be the WiFi network has cached his MAC address as an allowed device for a set period, not much you can do until it expires.

I am planning to buy Lenovo P2 due to its long battery life, any opinions?

My opinion based on the half dozen or so phones I've gone through:
  • Never get a phone that isn't rootable.
  • Never get a phone that didn't provide Dual SIM and MicroSD storage, (ie. not Hybrid slot).

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2018, 10:14 AM »
My opinion based on the half dozen or so phones I've gone through:
  • Never get a phone that isn't rootable.
  • Never get a phone that didn't provide Dual SIM and MicroSD storage, (ie. not Hybrid slot).

Thanks. However, I never root my phones, I use bank apps and MobileIron that do not work on rooted phones or it is illegal to install them in rooted phones.
As for the hybrid slot, it seems a bit of inconvenience if you have to use either second SIM or MicroSD and not both. But I have never bought a MicroSD myself, so it would be okay I think.

As for its screen, sound quality, signal, robustness? I think that would matter most for me.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30 PM »
As for its screen, sound quality, signal, robustness? I think that would matter most for me.

it's easy enough to find reviews of almost any phone on youtube or wherever
Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2018, 12:48 PM »

I know, but it may be hard to distinguish the trusted ones from ads. But I will have a good read.   ;D

UPDATE: I found Umidigi S2 PRO, would you invest in it?  :-*
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:36 PM by kalos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #162 on: March 28, 2018, 02:08 PM »
I found Umidigi S2 PRO, would you invest in it?
would you recommend it? what caught your eye?
Btw, what's the difference between the Pro & Lite versions?
(I'm not a fan of the bigger phones myself, but do need to replace my phone - I broke the screen...)

Tom

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2018, 02:18 PM »
I found Umidigi S2 PRO, would you invest in it?
would you recommend it? what caught your eye?
Btw, what's the difference between the Pro & Lite versions?
(I'm not a fan of the bigger phones myself, but do need to replace my phone - I broke the screen...)

I think it's the best current phone at very competitive price.

It's similar to 5.5" in dimensions.

Pro has more memory and newer Android. I think it's the best choice.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2018, 08:42 PM »
I think it's the best choice.

Two things:
1. Google is locking down its apps to certified devices, see here.  Make sure whatever you buy is certified by Google otherwise you won't be able to sign into your Google account and thus lose any functionality that depends on it, eg. Calendar, Gmail, etc.  This is especially relevant for phones whose main market is China, (excluding brands like Huawei, Xiaomi, etc who have a significant global presence).
2. I have phones that are years old, Huawei, Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi, and now Motorola (Lenovo).  They all still work.
I bought a Homtom HT16, (made by the reasonably well known Doogee), it was cheap, it had good specs for the price, and it worked for what I wanted to do.  It has stopped working after 14 months, no longer turns on, no longer charges ... effectively dead.
This is OK because I don't live on my phone, I don't care if people can't contact me on it, they can still send an email or ring my landline.

You use your phone for business so you should be looking at reliability above all else.

The Umidigi S2 Pro apparently only has four 4G bands, (FDD-LTE: 800/1800/2100/2600MHz ... no TDD-LTE) ... this was the first thing you checked, what bands and topology your provider uses, right?

Just as an aside, don't expect any upgrades to the next Android version on an MTK based phone ... be surprised and happy if you do get one but never expect it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:48 PM by 4wd »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2018, 02:13 AM »
2018 and I'm seriously concerned that there is no flagship smartphone with both a headphone jack and no bizarre hole in the display.

Except Samsung. :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2018, 07:24 AM »
... a headphone jack

I went from wired to wireless as soon as decent BT4 earphones/headphones became available, don't think I'll ever go back, the wires were a PITA.  I just make sure both devices are using apt-X.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I have quite expensive head- and earphones and I do not plan to replace them by worse sounding ones.

I sadly admit that Sony's is the only reasonable approach: they give away Y-shaped adapters with both a headphone jack and a USB port... Still, it's an adapter. Bah.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2018, 02:53 PM »
2018 and I'm seriously concerned that there is no flagship smartphone with both a headphone jack and no bizarre hole in the display.

Except Samsung. :(

Samsung's a good enough option for me :)

I have quite expensive head- and earphones and I do not plan to replace them by worse sounding ones.

Exactly!  I have some pretty expensive IEMs from NuForce.  I also had some bluetooth ones I tried out, and they cut out unexpectedly for no reason (only while running or exercising), which is what turned me off of BT for audio.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2018, 01:30 AM »
MUO give a pretty good review to the Nubia Z17 Lite
https://www.makeuseo...bia-z17-lite-review/
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2018, 03:46 PM »
kalos

I know, but it may be hard to distinguish the trusted ones from ads. But I will have a good read.
For technology available in the UK, you could do worse than visit Expert Reviews - The latest technology reviewed by experts.  This web site is owned by Dennis Publishing, who also own the UK magazines Computer Shopper, Computeractive, PC Pro, and Web User.  The web site appears to offer all the reviews that were published in the paper magazines.  You have to wade through lots of adverts, but there's no other cost.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2018, 04:17 AM »
I'm looking at the Nokia 5 @ around €150 (euros) amazon.de link

Listed as Nokia 5 Dual SIM Smartphone - deutsche Ware (13,2 cm (5,2"), 16GB, 13 Megapixel Kamera, Android 7.0)
Apparently has been, or can be, updated to Android 8.

Has dual sim *plus* an sd card slot.

Amazon reviews generally positive -- although a lot of the one star reviews talk about it giving up after a month or two, which is a little worrying. Camera not so good (pity), although hard to know what people are comparing it to. (FWIW I have been very happy with the Nokia 730/735 phone camera -- not great in low light, but otherwise takes quite nice pics.)

I haven't done a lot of research -- am still using the Nokia 735, a windows phone, but, due to broken screen which costs more than above linked phone to replace, it's on the way out. Off-topic// Windows has been very limiting at times, but in general I loved it, and will miss it.

So if anyone has any opinion, or other suggestions in the lower price segment (under 200 euros or so), do say. If not, I will eventually get my act together, do some more research, and report back.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2018, 05:25 AM »
A little over your budget but maybe the Motorola G6 or G6+ (not the G6 Play unless it floats your boat)?

Dedicated uSD slot, available in single or dual SIM config, dual back cameras, reasonably vanilla Android experience (the Moto Actions/Display are actually useful compared to the usual "extras" you get), etc, etc.

Relatively new release, this month I think, so you might need to search for reviews a bit.

I have the G5+ 4GB/32GB and it has been a great phone.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2018, 06:32 AM »
If you are aiming for a Nokia, I'd opt for the Nokia 6 (~ €200,-) or Nokia 6.1 (aka Nokia 6 2018) (~ €300,0), that have a much better processor (Qualcomm 6xx instead of 4xx) and screen (1920x1080 instead of 1280x720), as well as a better camera (back: 16 mp instead of 13 mp, front: 8 mp), and also, the Nokia 5 is lacking a notification-led, for some reason (just like the Motorola G5/s/plus series), AFAICS.
I also do like that the Nokia 6.1 comes with Android One, ensuring often and soon updates by Google, but that should also be the case for the Nokia 5 as it has stock-Android.

OT: I'm leaning toward the Nokia 6.1 64 GB to replace my aging Nexus 5, I just haven't ordered it as my supplier doesn't provide a book-case cover, yet...

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Any rival for Umidigi S2 PRO?

I will eventually have to ditch my Xiaomi Redmi Pro 3. After recommendations here I bought it, which proved to be good, but it has a major lack, the lack of NFC, so I cannot use it to make payments.