topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for smartphone  (Read 147356 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for smartphone
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Samsung S6 or S7 with optional bonus firelighter

That would be a good match!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2017, 06:43 PM »
This is still enough for everyday use

motorola_dynatac.jpgLooking for smartphone

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Sorry but your recommendation to buy the Xiaomi seems not good.

I suggest you read the thread again, I mentioned a particular model of phone that I was interested in, I didn't recommend it one way or another - I said multiple times that you need to do the research before getting anything.
I also mentioned that the MIUI OS is crap and that you should walk into a store and buy a phone because:
a) You're using the phone for business purposes. Why the hell are you buying something that is apparently a critical use item by mail order from another country where you'll have limited immediate repair/replacement options?
b) You were unwilling to do any research on the subject.

And we still have no idea exactly what phone you've bought or the OS version it's running because of your consistent lack of providing information.

I never trusted anything chinese and this comes to justify my opinion. Chinese companies, people, technology, etc are decades back, their quality is not just low, it's absolute crap.

Then why didn't you get a Samsung S6 or S7 with optional bonus firelighter and be secure in the knowledge that you've bought quality?

It has MIUI 8.0.5.0 and Android 6.

It freezes very often, Google maps voice is not heard, sometimes I don't receive the call when people are caling me.

Is there a solution to this before sending this crap back to its vendor?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23 AM »
It has MIUI 8.0.5.0 and Android 6.

It freezes very often, Google maps voice is not heard, sometimes I don't receive the call when people are caling me.

Is there a solution to this before sending this crap back to its vendor?

The latest is MIUI 8.1.x.x

Of course, we can't be more specific since your reluctance to tell us your exact phone model is obviously due to it being under strict NDA.

There are also later ROMs without all the Chinese bloatware available from EU XIAOMI Weekly ROMs as mentioned way, way back here but they require some degree of knowledge to install ....

As I said, the hardware is fine, MIUI OS is crap, (my opinion but the MIUI devs do seem to put form before function), but that would entail you replacing it with CyanogenMod, AOSP, LineageOS, etc which means you'd be required to work out how.

Anyway, with your prejudice against a whole country's technology industry, any effort to assist is, shall we say, academic ... especially since you've already made up your mind.

BTW, you do know that you have a 1 in 6 chance of your Samsung being made in China, iPhone (1 in 1, if you regard Taiwan as China), Lenovo (1 in 1), Huawei (1 in 1), ASUS (1 in 4), etc, etc.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2017, 06:38 AM »
I think I said already that my model is Xiaomi Redmi Pro 3 International Version.
I flashed to MIUI 8.1 but still very buggy, apps make it crash and when in silent mode apps are not heard, while switching back to normal mode apps are still not heard.

I had all the good intent, but how can they ship something in such a buggy state?

OK, then if hardware is fine, will these EU roms be the solution?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Maybe you should send it back and get something locally. You could easily have problems again (no matter what you buy), but it should be easier for you to sort them out.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2017, 10:15 AM »
And you also might want to go with something off the shelf, no matter the limitations of doing so. That's usually the approach I use when I want to just use something as opposed to learn and tinker.  You can't really expect someone to do all the work, especially if you're going to unfairly blame them when something doesn't go to your expectations. You have to pay someone for that level of service.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27 PM »
I think I said already that my model is Xiaomi Redmi Pro 3 International Version.

Pick one and then tell us what version of MIUI it's running:

2017-02-12 09_05_51.png

As I have previously said, identify it by its board name because as you can see, there is no Redmi 3 Pro International Version.

The EU ROMs do remove a lot of the unnecessary Chinese stuff and add some extras geared towards non-China residents plus some system optimisations BUT it requires you to unlock the bootloader and flash an alternative, ie. TWRP.
NOTE: If you've never done this before or aren't prepared to wear the consequences of doing it incorrectly then DON'T.

I don't use MIUI at all, which I said previously, it was removed within 24 hours of getting the phone ... it sucks, it's crap, I hate it.  I hope that makes it clear what I think of the MIUI OS.  I didn't have any problems using it or the phone doing weird things, I just don't like it.

Having tried a few ROMs I now use CyanogenMod 12.1, (Android 5.1.1), with a few tweaks, any problems I had have pretty much gone. Another ROM gave me some features that CyanogenMod doesn't but Xposed + modules and/or apps have replicated them.

Assuming you're really talking about the Kate version of the RN3, there is a lot of good info in the Whirlpool forums:
https://forums.whirl...eplies.cfm?t=2566258
https://forums.whirl...eplies.cfm?t=2603115
https://forums.whirl...58&p=6&#r120 - A guide on flashing alternative ROMs on the RN3SE

It's mentioned that MIUI is rather aggressive regarding memory management which can cause it to force close apps, maybe that's the case here.
http://www.technocia...-miui78-secret-tips/
https://www.reddit.c...6d93&sh=d0a0c711

FWIW, I also turned off battery optimisation on a per app basis and it actually seemed to increase my battery life - go figure.

I have little doubt that flashing something like CyanogenMod or LineageOS would probably fix most issues you're having, (bearing in mind there is still the possibility that you just happen to receive a faulty phone - happens no matter what brand you choose).

Unless you're willing to undertake the necessary steps yourself, invalidating your warranty, and wearing any consequences of doing it wrong then in your case you're better off buying locally in a store.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I am still not sure what I can answer, maybe this screen can help?
https://ibb.co/hJdwOv

Do you have any idea what to do? It keeps freezing and I have to restart

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Do you have any idea what to do?

4wd already gave you some options:

1) Root the phone and install a new ROM on it or, if you're not comfortable doing that, 2) return the phone and buy a local phone so you can get some local support/help.

It keeps freezing and I have to restart

So, for a month and a half, you've been using a phone that you're not happy with instead of returning it and getting your money back?  C'mon, you really need to learn to help yourself, and make some decisions on your own, instead of relying on everybody else to tell you what to do, what to buy, what to whatever...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Any opinions on what we've heard about the S8?   I'm thinking about trading my iPhone for one when the contract is up in a couple of months...

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48 PM »
I eventually fixed the problem with the Redmi crashing all the time.....

I changed a battery saving setting and it became much more stable!!!!

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Guys, the Redmi has notification when you exceed your data bundle, but nothing for call minutes! Any idea?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2017, 01:09 AM »
Probably depends on your location and provider, check this: http://www.lmgtfy.co...call+minutes+counter

SteveT8

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2017, 05:39 AM »
Huawei Honor 8

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Hello!

I need a new smartphone with:
1) 3GB at least RAM as my 2GB Note2 struggles
2) good screen view under sunlight
3) good removable battery life

Can you suggest me any?
Is any of these any good? http://www.ebay.co.u...p;rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
Are Lenovo good? Any specific?

Btw, they must be good quality, not falling apart, bad voice quality, etc.

thanks!
Features 2) and 3) are the most difficult ones.

In my ebook reader I see all under the sun. In mobiles is an pending matter....
But last models have an option to see in black and white that improve the thing. And the nits have improved too from my old Samsung S4
I think is one of the most important features that makers don't publicity too much because the technology have not solved well the feature until this moment....

The feature 3 is relative too. Now all the superior class of mobiles have the battery sealed . And are removable but under certain conditions. Ordinarily is necessary use the technical assistant because the need to open the device for changing the battery. It's a sort of termal seal to protect the device against water and dust. But sure limits your possibility to change easily the battery or have another battery as I use with the samsung S4.

:-\

Note : one of the features I will care in my next device is the camera.

The camera with two lenses are my prefered. More stability and possibility to obtain better images.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Only buy a phone with the Android-based MIUI OS, (eg. XIAOMI), if you're willing to install another firmware, perform extensive setting modification, or willing to put up with chronic privacy invasion - FWIW, I have a XIAOMI Redmi Note 2 running non-standard firmware.

I recommend you get a phone with a Qualcomm processor, (ie. SnapDragon SoC), not MTK, as it is better supported by third party firmware, eg. CyanogenMod, and you'll get Android version updates a lot faster.

Besides that, you haven't said anything about your other needs, ie. Dual (4G) SIM, microSD, HD/FHD, battery life, network coverage, etc, etc.

XIAOMI just released the Redmi Note 3 Special Edition which has world-wide 4G band coverage, (and there's a CyanogenMod version available to install with a little fiddling).

Since you're in the UK: WileyFox

I am about to buy Xiaomi RedMi Note 3, but it doesn't have removable battery! that is a major con because after few months/years the battery loses its performance and needs replacement!
Not necessarily. I have friends with the sealed battery with no problems for years.
Only if you need more energy have an external one or a supplementary battery to feed the internal one.

Nowadays if you want a good device you have to submit to the sealed battery technology. It's an imposition of highest quality devices......

And of course that seal is not a warrant of impermeability or going with the mobile under the water....

:-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I don't trust alibaba to buy from there, I used in the past a similar chinese bullsht called ioffer or something and I lost my money! absolutely no protection or customer support!

I haven't had any problems.  Did you look at the seller reviews?  And you can initiate a dispute- they have a process.  And I used it in one case, and it worked.

it's too risky
the item is in turkey, they have no idea if it works in uk
Here in Canary Island we have a tax : IGIC
And is an importation from the exterior.
Ordinarily the waste of the Adoune is surprising high .
Only if I can make the dispatch may be rentable.
On the other hand if I buy local probably the price is better and I have the support and advice from the local dealer.

The only advantage here to buy on internet is that you can select exactly the model you want, but in my case I will have to wait weeks or pay the urgency and more high price.

And if the package is lost, or delayed, or arrive broken I will have several months without the device....

Only in very cheap products I can afford this.
 :-\

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2017, 01:34 PM »
thanks but I don't want to root my phone

if I root it, all my banking apps do not work, but MobileIron doesn't work so I cannot have access to my work emails!
I root my samsung S4 device and have to come back again.
I don't like root anymore.
root for what ? To change the MAC ? To make special security image copies ? . Probably this is not necessary with cloud services and ordinary backups....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I flashed to MIUI 8.1 but still very buggy, apps make it crash and when in silent mode apps are not heard, while switching back to normal mode apps are still not heard.

I had all the good intent, but how can they ship something in such a buggy state?

OK, then if hardware is fine, will these EU roms be the solution?
I have friend buy very cheap from China, but then they can't call anyone for a different system or come interface in chinese.

Redmi and Xiaomi have very good local support here and perhaps the times when I compare the samsung S4 with the chinese options have change a lot.

I don't doubt you can change everything waiting, but meanwhile you have put the money in advance.

:tellme:

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Any opinions on what we've heard about the S8?   I'm thinking about trading my iPhone for one when the contract is up in a couple of months...
Ios to Android ?

Here in Tenerife I have heard that nobody come back from the apple world to windows or android again.....

I think you need in deep your decision....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2017, 01:47 PM »
Guys, the Redmi has notification when you exceed your data bundle, but nothing for call minutes! Any idea?

I think exist software en google play for this .
This evening I am looking for notifications off, and silent pc because too many notifications.
Sure you can control your waste with software, or here in Tenerife you can talk with your supplier to limit or receive alarms .

Best Regards
 :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49 PM »
I eventually fixed the problem with the Redmi crashing all the time.....

I changed a battery saving setting and it became much more stable!!!!

Glad to hear that !
 ;D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2017, 02:28 AM »
Contro! :mad: what the he#%& are you thinking! posting 8 replies in 41 minutes in 1 thread to old posts (smartphones are _old_ after 12 months).

You have been asked several times politely, and sometimes a little less subtle, to *think* before you start writing a reply, and think *again* before hitting the post button. Most subjects you address have been answered and discussed 'ages' ago!
Please keep your promises to improve yourself in this matter, this posting-frenzy isn't helping anyone.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2017, 06:43 AM »
Contro! :mad: what the he#%& are you thinking! posting 8 replies in 41 minutes in 1 thread to old posts (smartphones are _old_ after 12 months).

He's trying to catch up to mouser's number of posts.