ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for smartphone

<< < (36/51) > >>

tomos:
If you are aiming for a Nokia, I'd opt for the Nokia 6 (~ €200,-) or Nokia 6.1 (aka Nokia 6 2018) (~ €300,0), that have a much better processor (Qualcomm 6xx instead of 4xx) and screen (1920x1080 instead of 1280x720), as well as a better camera (back: 16 mp instead of 13 mp, front: 8 mp), and also, the Nokia 5 is lacking a notification-led, for some reason (just like the Motorola G5/s/plus series), AFAICS.
I also do like that the Nokia 6.1 comes with Android One, ensuring often and soon updates by Google, but that should also be the case for the Nokia 5 as it has stock-Android.
-Ath (May 03, 2018, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
belated thanks Ath
will have to consider size: I really like the 4.7" I'm currently using -- 5.5" / 2018 seems like a big jump, mind you it's about the same actual size as the 5.2" / 2017 version.
Re camera, for the record, more pixels doesn't mean better camera :p but in fairness, normally more  expensive equals better.

The idea Android gets updated makes any of them very attractive options.

Ath:
Well, I went to a large electronics store yesterday to buy a new phone for my mother as a birthday gift for her 80th birthday later this month, and (also) held that Nokia 6.1 in my hand for a minute, but it's rather huge compared to my Nexus 5  :tellme:
Most reviewers seem to highly regard the cameras of the 6.1, but that's hardly a criterium for me as I only use it for snapshots.
We bought a Motorola X4 for mother, that is a (little) bit less huge :D, but is lacking a notification-led. It's been on my wishlist for some time, but it fell off for this reason, for the rest it's a very good phone.

4wd:
... but is lacking a notification-led.-Ath (May 06, 2018, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

The phones I've had prior to my current Moto G5+ all had a notification LED and when I got the G5+ I thought I'd miss it but I don't.

The Moto Display feature is great, the screen lights up for a second or two when a notification comes in but it also lights up for a half second whenever you pick the phone up which shows you any notifications that have come in.

When I thought back I realised I didn't use the notification LED all that much since about the only times I noticed it was when I was reaching for the phone anyway.

Besides that, coupled with the smart watch I know when a notification arrives.

tomos:
Notification light is not important for me. I like to be able to forget my phone :-\

Trying to get my head around actual size vs. screensize, I created a short list in table form
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19HmdcNVViyin724CRMhPOq0gSJD7S7mZSIRg2fKSUaQ/edit?usp=sharing

Looking for smartphone
(down at the bottom there are Ath's and my current phones)

it's impressive that the new Moto G6 is 5.7" -- yet is shorter than most of the other phones (but wider). It is 18:9 format (2:1) which helps keep the width down. The new camera + photo engine (or whatever that get's called) is supposed to be very good for the price class. It's a dual lens setup. Well above my planned budget and size, but tempting...

4wd:
Any rival for Umidigi S2 PRO?

I will eventually have to ditch my Xiaomi Redmi Pro 3. After recommendations here I bought it, which proved to be good, but it has a major lack, the lack of NFC, so I cannot use it to make payments.-kalos (May 05, 2018, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought you wanted NFC?

Here's the product page for the Umidigi S2 Pro, no mention of NFC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version