ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Flock - the Social Browser (beta)

(1/2) > >>

clif_notes:
Flocking out to get the new browser
review from ClifNotes, Jul 2006

Flock is a browser based on FireFox that is tweaked to let you socialize more easily, and they've released a new beta version. Last week, I got a letter from Flock asking me to try the newest beta version. I tried it out for awhile and now you'll know what I think of it.

Setup
After downloading Flock and installing it, I was presented with a wizard that tried to walk me through the setup. Flock uses several free services that allow it to do some unique things. I had a few problems getting through this wizard, mainly because I wasn't signed up for all the services Flock uses. Here are some of the services Flock uses or interfaces with ... Flickr, Photobucket, Del.icio.us, Blogger, MySpace, Live Journal,  Ebay, and RSS feeds.

Features
Because Flock is linked in with photo hosting services, bookmarking services, blog services, and RSS feeds, it's really there to keep you connected to your friends and the whole web. Once it's set up, you can drag and drop pictures into your blogs and post them right from Flock. It's very easy when you get used to it. The RSS news feeds are easy to use and add to, so you can keep track of the news or your favorite blogs from your friends.

Problems
Yes, this is beta software and I ran into a few bugs. My most serious problem was that Flock would stop working when I was trying to access my Gmail accounts. I won't be using it because of this single issue. That doesn't mean it won't work just dandy for you. Don't let me stop you from trying it. I still think it's very cool.

Flock - the Social Browser (beta)

Here's what they say about the new Flock beta ...
''Welcome to Flock, the safe, spyware free web browser that makes it easier to connect with your friends. With Flock it's a snap to upload, comment, and discover new pics. Read all the news you care about, in one place. Blog freely. Get search results as soon as you start typing in the search box, and much more.''

http://www.flock.com/

mouser:
i can't believe no one posted a reply to this yet..
very nice mini review cliff - i have to forward this to vrgirl, this is the kind of thing she might like.

clif_notes:
i can't believe no one posted a reply to this yet..
very nice mini review cliff - i have to forward this to vrgirl, this is the kind of thing she might like.
-mouser (July 17, 2006, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can easily believe that no one replied. What's to reply about? Isn't it obvious that this is a "perfect" mini-review? LOL

Seriously though, I'm not surprised people here aren't really interested in Flock. I almost consider it to be "fluff-ware". In other words, the type of thing newbies to the internet might find exciting. I'm guessing most of us have alternatives to the features in Flock, or don't care to try them.

I still think it's pretty cool though. They've done a darn good job of integration and I wish them much success in the future. My only concern is that they keep a free version of it available.

Have fun!

Black Mamba:
Still being in beta stage it doesn't support the extensions I need.

It's an interesting browser, probably better suited for girls.  :Thmbsup:

clif_notes:
Still being in beta stage it doesn't support the extensions I need.

It's an interesting browser, probably better suited for girls.  :Thmbsup:
-Black Mamba (July 18, 2006, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Mamba,

That could be interpreted as a challenge to the females here. Would any of you "girls" care to comment? LOL

Having fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version