topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?  (Read 28534 times)

Clairvaux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:38 PM »
I learned about Shareware on Sale through the last newsletter. They have some attractive offers, including free deals. However, they also drop a toaster-style daily nagware on your PC in a quite underhanded way.

I haven't experimented it myself, because I aborted the installation of the software I wanted just short of that.

My question is : did anyone experiment this nagware ? First and foremost : is there any way to avoid it ?

When you ask for a download after submitting your details, the following things happen :

You get a licence code, and a link which you think is the software download, but it isn't : it's a stub. The filename ends with hub.exe.

It will open a Shareware on Sale installer, with this devious warning popping up at some point : Shareware on Sale Daily Giveaway Notifier provides you with an instant notification whenever there is a new giveaway available. Never miss a giveaway again with Shareware on Sale Daily Giveaway Notifier !

And it asks : Download and install ? Yes / No. Download and install what ? Of course, if you click Yes, you will get both the coveted software... and the nagware. And if you click No... you will get neither. Talk about an opt-out...

The Swiss computing site Libellules.ch has a workaround for this (in French), but it's not clear whether it avoids the nagware altogether (I think not), or it just allows you to download and save the full software package from the publisher for future use.

In order to do this, you must react in a completely counter-intuitive way to this screen, clicking the box next to Save installer to my computer in Downloads folder, but also clicking the Do Not Install button !

Libellules.ch also says that you can download the software you want directly from the publisher's site (provided it is offered there at all), then install it in a regular way, inserting the licence code given out by Shareware on Sale.

Shareware on Sale has backtracked somewhat on its previous policy, which was even worse than that. They say that you can uninstall the nagware, which appears in Windows' Control Panel, but I'm not willing to trust them. Even if uninstall is possible, how can you be sure that nothing untowards would have been left behind, if they engage in such shady tactics ?

I'm all the more furious, since I created an RSS alert for myself on their site, as soon as I found that their deals were, indeed, interesting. Message to Shareware on Sale : I'm perfectly willing to receive news from you, provided I chose to do this, and it's not forced on me !

Anyone has experimented this ?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:45 PM by Clairvaux »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18 AM »
quite often one is not thinking clearly when furious :-)
if you click No, you will only get what you've asked for
however, whatever you ask for, it may be outdated...
assume less and test more. sharewareonsale is kind of "okay".

And Yes, I have just tested it - downloaded and installed two programs.

Clairvaux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Assume less and test more.

Certainly not. I'm not willing to be a guinea pig for webmasters with shady tactics, just because there's some free stuff hanging around.

To clarify : are you saying that you managed to download software from them, while being offered their malware/nagware, and that you managed not to install the latter ? Would you care to share the method, if you remember it ? Thanks.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Would you care to share the method, if you remember it ? Thanks.

He just did:

if you click No, you will only get what you've asked for

Clairvaux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 02:57 PM »
He just did.

No, he did not. This is not helpful at all, and neither is your answer.

Do you guys have some sort of financial link with Shareware on Sale ? Is berating new members, bossing them around and being passive-agressive your idea of a forum ? It's certainly not mine.

Have a nice day.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 03:48 PM »
I've never heard of Shareware on Sale until you mentioned it in this thread. I didn't berate you, I merely pointed out that your question was already answered. It seemed like an obvious answer to me, but I haven't tried installing anything from SoS before, so I may not be familiar with how it works.

I believe what Curt meant was that during the installation process you have a chance to click "No" or uncheck a box to install the crapware. That's typically how it works when crapware is bundled with installers. But again, I've never installed anything from Shareware on Sale, so I am not familiar with how their installation process works.

Either way, Curt says it is possible to install it without the crapware. So just be careful as you install and read thoroughly before you click "Next" or "OK" on the installer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I have to admit I was confused by the answers: if you reread the OP it gives the impression that if you download from their site, it is impossible to avoid installing sharewareonsale's 'notification' software.

edit// is it one of those situations where you have to counterintuitively click No to get the software? (I'm reminded one time with OpenCandy installer, I had to click 'Yes' to avoid installing the additional software.)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 04:53 PM »
I'm sorry if my first sentence hurted your feelings, Clairvaux; it was meant to be amusing.

Other than that, I think Deozaan was quite right.

Naturally there is a difference between members and Participants, but we seriously try to treat all parties equally well. ALL parties! The owner of "Shareware on Sale" is well known, but does to my knowledge not have any kind of agreement or deal with DonationCoder, other than being a regular Supporting Member. And as such, he deserves common, human courtesy.

Welcome to our forum!

-------------
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
-tomos

My guess is that Clairvaux expected the worst and then took this for facts.
SoS is operated by Ashraf from dotTech .org, so we already know it to be okay.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:11 PM »
To clarify : are you saying that you managed to download software from them, while being offered their malware/nagware, and that you managed not to install the latter ? Would you care to share the method, if you remember it ?

The picture version:
2016-09-25 10_36_19.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_36_32.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_37_03.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_37_16.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_37_53.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?
Just to be clear, in the above image I clicked Install Now as well as telling it to save the installer file.

2016-09-25 10_38_37.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_44_10.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_38_28.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

2016-09-25 10_52_29.pngHow do you avoid Shareware on Sale's sneaky nagware ?

And the French website that you pointed to is just telling you how to use a previous version of the installer stub, not the current version.
So they are not bypassing the question to install the notifier, the question was never there.

They also mention that a possible security issue was that the software was installed directly, that is also addressed in the current installer stub by allowing you to save the installer and choose not to install immediately.

First and foremost : is there any way to avoid it ?

Obviously there is.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:19 AM by 4wd »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:15 AM »
Thanks for clearing up any confusion there 4wd :Thmbsup:
Tom

Ashraf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, I just came across this thread.

To clarify, we've never, ever installed anything on a user's computer without permission. I don't know what the Swiss website linked in OP is talking about. From the start, we've always given users the option (Yes or No) if they want to install SharewareOnSale Notifier. If user clicks 'No', then SharewareOnSale Notifier is not installed. Only if user clicks 'Yes' when specifically asked about SharewareOnSale Notifier, then SharewareOnSale Notifier is installed. A user must click 'Yes' or 'No' at the screen when asked to install SharewareOnSale Notifier -- they cannot proceed further without clicking an option. Further, uninstalling SharewareOnSale Notifier is very easy if you no longer want it.

My apologies for any confusion or inconvenience! If any further clarifications are needed, please let me know.

Take care,
Ashraf
Mr. Boss @ SharewareOnSale

DanDLion

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32 PM »
My experience shows that Ashraf is right. I've obtained several tools from SOS, and on two recent ones, I was able to download an installer directly from the vendor which a binary comparison showed to be identical to the installer delivered by the "hub." So if you decline the notifier, you get what you want with no extras other than those, if any, that some vendors build into their installers; those you have to watch for and decline if unwanted.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I can confirm, I have had a few of my applications on SharewareOnSale, the notifier does not have to be installed.

vhoskins

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I know this is a dead thread, just wanted to add my work around that works... Download the program from the actual company then use the provided key code from sharewares email. That way you know you are downloading and installing a safe program. It's worked for me every time, so far!

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Rather enjoyed the drama of this thread.  Felt pity for the OP as I've also made the mistake of installing unwanted software in a wrapper due to haste in installation.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 11:40 AM »
vhoskin's post made me visit Ashraf's site again, and I was surprised to see just how many fine shareware programs he now has to offer for free (or discounted)!
The list is long: https://sharewareons...iveaway+active-deals
Most licenses are of course like giveawayoftheday: Now, and for 1 year only + No support or updates.

Among others, I clicked Yes to get Ashampoo Burning Studio 2019 [for PC] for free - normal price $50. https://sharewareons...-studio-freebie-sale
It's probably free because Ashampoo now is offering version 20.
I also took a free copy of Wise Registry Cleaner - I have been told it's one of the better ones of the kind.

In general I am impressed with Ashraf's site!  :up:  but, Yes, one must open the eyes and look out for the harmless but unwanted extras.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member