topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox 49.0 stable is out in both x86 and x64 Windows builds  (Read 4009 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox 49.0 stable is out in both x86 and x64 Windows builds
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Softpedia and FileHippo both show it as Firefox 49.0 stable.  No changelog though:

http://www.softpedia...-Firefox-Final.shtml

Edit: I upgraded to the x86 49.0 from 48.02 and no, it does not load any faster, at least by eyeball.  Still seems to take almost a minute from double click to being able to type into the address bar.  :(

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:05 AM by MilesAhead »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 49.0 stable is out in both x86 and x64 Windows builds
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Softpedia and FileHippo both show it as Firefox 49.0 stable.  No changelog though:

Edit: I upgraded to the x86 49.0 from 48.02 and no, it does not load any faster, at least by eyeball.  Still seems to take almost a minute from double click to being able to type into the address bar.  :(

strange, on this machine, Firefox 47.0 says it's up-to-date. And it opens quite promptly (could that be one of your add-ons that's slowing you Ff down?)
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:31 PM »

strange, on this machine, Firefox 47.0 says it's up-to-date. And it opens quite promptly (could that be one of your add-ons that's slowing you Ff down?)

Hi.  I just spent the last half hour or so going through them.  It does not seem to be one culprit.  I had to disable 4 or 5.  It does seem to come up and load Fast Dial pretty well now.  There is just a slight hesitation before I can open a menu.  But the caret goes right into the Address Bar.  I'll run it this way for a time and see how it goes.  The thing is I had most all of these running and I don't remember it going south until the last couple of versions.  Maybe I should try downgrading to 39.01 or something.  :)

I'll take a snapshot first so I should be able to get it back to here if things get messed around.  :)  Thanks for the suggestion.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 02:48 PM »
So far it seems I can run most of my AddOns if I use version 40.03.  I think Theme Font and Size Changer messes it up with some newer release.  The bookmarks toolbar folders are delayed coming up in 49.0 but not in 40.03 with the same version of the AddOn running.

Ninite shows the new release also now:

https://ninite.com/

The check for new version thing in Firefox often misfires.  It seems to work most of the time in Cyberfox.  But sometimes it takes you to the wrong build.  Intel instead of AMD.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:55 PM »
https://www.mozilla....x/49.0/releasenotes/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Removed Firefox Hello

Admittedly, it's not a feature I ever really got the chance to use, but I liked the idea of it. I'm kind of sad to see it go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:32 PM by Deozaan »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:25 AM »
Removed Firefox Hello

Admittedly, it's not a feature I ever really got the chance to use, but I liked the idea of it. I'm kind of sad to see it go.

I removed that and the Pocket.  Also I downgraded to 42.0.  That seems to be the last one where there is no hesitation filling in the bookmark toolbar folder icons.  Not as snappy as it once was but the delay from double click to usability is down to 7 or 8 seconds.  Much less annoying.   :Thmbsup: