topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Small tool that resolves hostname and notifies you when IP changes  (Read 3328 times)

FrankEBailey`

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • I am a maniac
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, it's been a loooooong time since I was on here, I'm really glad to see DonationCoder is still around!

I often have clients who change their hosting services for web or email, and a lot hinges around knowing when their domain has propagated over to the new IP address. I envision a utility that I can put one or more hostnames in, and flag their resolved IPs as the "old" hosting server, and set an email address to notify when the IP changes (ie. the domain is now pointing to the new host). You could set an interval on which to perform the domain check, eg. every 1, 5, 10, 60 minutes, 6 hours, daily or however would work best.

If such a tool already exists, I've never encountered it before.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :huh:  Are these clients changing hosting services so often that a tool like this is needed?  Or, is this a situation where the client is attempting to host their own services on a connection which does not have a static IP, i.e., they have a dynamic IP?  Some more detail, or an example situation, would be helpful.