topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: email clients redux - Eudora and The Bat! (on sale at Bits)  (Read 3885 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
email clients redux - Eudora and The Bat! (on sale at Bits)
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:33 AM »
The Bat! Professional is on sale on Bits Du Jour or $30.

I still use and like the old 2006 Eudora 7.1, as do many of us, although the weakness in foreign language fonts, unicode, hurts a bit.  And the future may bring some questions.

And I have The Bat! loaded from earlier this year, it seems to be a little less friendly in the way it places pics as attachments, where Eudora might be willing to show you the pic inline. 

I was seeing HTML (or whatever it is) in my Bat inbox, although in a somewhat stripped down format.  Eudora has that option to use the Microsoft viewer (this is the type of thing that could go kaput in some future Windows version.) which tends to show you what they tried to send.

Natively The Bat! thinks in terms of individual mailboxes in the display, so you might show five Inboxes, Outboxes, etc.  And I prefer the Eudora method where it is all one box, and you do it all by filtering.  Presumably you could get The Bat! to place all the mail in one set of boxes through filtering?

Feel free to mention other programs, I am particularly interested in the strengths and weaknesess.

From what I can see, in general, The Bat! is one of the few programs that has filtering and searching that is comparable to Eudora, my key point after stability (also mandatory are a decent RTF editor and pasting pics from the clipboard right into the letter you compose.)

Is this the time to pick up The Bat! Use it for some outgoing unicode stuff (I can do that in gmail, too, usually some Greek font from Bible programs) and begin really trying it out?  For an eventual switcheroo.

Or should I wait?  Is there better?

Steven

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: email clients redux - Eudora and The Bat! (on sale at Bits)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 03:29 AM »
No tips here - just to say it's extended another day:
22.5 hours to go at time of this post.

Also wondering if it's for me - but what I was missing in Thunderbird was decent easy tagging support. The Bat! sounds like it uses filtering rather than tags, which could be fine too :-\
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 02:05 AM »
Extended for another 24 hours as per this post.

Any even very general comments from Bat! users?
Tom

DK2IT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35 AM »
The Bat! has tags support and can use internal html viewer (faster but sometime not so accurate) or use the more compatible Windows Internet Explorer control (similar to Outlook).
TheBatHtmlViewOptions.pngemail clients redux - Eudora and The Bat! (on sale at Bits)
The Bat! is a powerful email client, many functions and deep customizations, has a plugin system and a template language for automatically create standard replies.
Maybe the interface is not so "modern" but it's faster and the program do not require so much ram (generally, for me, is using between 70 and 130MB).
Crash resistant - sometime I've terminated it and no email is lost - and I've folder with several GB of email with thousand of email.
Maybe too much functions for a basic use and this can be a little confusing for a newbie that must explore many menu and options.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:03 AM by DK2IT, Reason: Added a general comment »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 12:37 PM »
can use internal html viewer (faster but sometime not so accurate) or use the more compatible Windows Internet Explorer control (similar to Outlook)

Wouldn't the internal html viewer also be less likely to be a malware vector simply because the IE control is a rich target for malware?

DK2IT

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Wouldn't the internal html viewer also be less likely to be a malware vector simply because the IE control is a rich target for malware?
Yes - in fact in the option they write "not susceptible to Internet Explorer vulnerabilities".
I'm using it and it's very good, maybe complex email with css or advanced formatting are displayed not so good, but, if you need it, you can always open the email into your preferred browser.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 03:00 PM »
The Bat! has [..]

thanks DK2IT for that good mini-review :D :Thmbsup:
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20 PM »
I had a look to see what it would cost in Euros -- as there can often be a big price jump there --
was pleasantly suprised to see it was cheaper again in euros (via cleverbridge: provider & cost may depend on your location) 23.76€ / ~22.50$ (not including local VAT/sales tax)
Tom