topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dropbox alternatives  (Read 5056 times)

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dropbox alternatives
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:16 AM »
Dropbox has dropped XP support and it will be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder.

Do you know some alternative which supports xp and works the same as dropbox, that is, drop files on your public folder, direct links following the same path as your folder (no encryption nor redirecting to webpages), html5 files Rendering on browsers..

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dropbox alternatives
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I don't know any that do your last requirement.  Perhaps there's something open source that would work on XP.  You might check alternativeto, i.e. http://alternativeto...et/software/dropbox/

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Well I hope someone can share their experience  :)
The html rendering is not the most important feature to me but that the desktop program can generate direct links to your files with urls having the same path as on your harddrive. My guess is that most of them generate encrypted links and redirect to pages.

Personally, I can recommend from that alternativeto's list yandex because it works fine on the ipad, but it doesn't meet the direct links feature.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:40 AM »
If you mainly use dropbox as a way to share files between devices, than you could consider setting up your own "cloud" (NextCloud is open source and quite easy to setup yourself (in combination with XAMPP or similar tool.)). Besides an online interface, it comes with clients for iP(ad/hone), Android, PC, Mac and Linux.

But if you mainly use dropbox as a way to store data off-site, then hosting your own "cloud" isn't such a stellar idea. Setting up your own "cloud" is initially a headache and you remain responsible for maintenance/upkeep, it also gives you much more control to share data between family and friends, if you so desire.

First, make sure that if you setup your "cloud", that your ISP doesn't object against such things. Or that you don't exceed the limits of your metered internet plan, if you were tricked into getting such a type of internet connection.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:51 PM »
I share a spreadseet with direct links made with dropbox. Maybe I should try some linux distro which works well with dropbox. Any suggestion? Small, easy to install for a dual boot on windows, dropbox compatible..

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:41 PM »
I don't know if one way to stick to winxp and keep using dropbox (discontinued) could be through virtualbox running dropbox for linux.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Dropbox has dropped XP support and it will be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder.
Do you know some alternative which supports xp and works the same as dropbox, that is, drop files on your public folder, direct links following the same path as your folder (no encryption nor redirecting to webpages), html5 files Rendering on browsers..
Where you say: "Dropbox has dropped XP support and it will be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder.", are the two things necessarily combined or separate, or did Dropbox just happen to do the two things at the same time?
The timing seems curious anyway. The reason I say that is that Google Drive also just recently killed off the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links - which put me out, because I used to use Google Drive to host a few static webpages of information on different topics. It was a very handy facility. There seemed to be no real reason given by Google for killing this off. I wondered whether Dropbox had stated a reason.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 06:17 PM »
@IainB
Malware abuse if we are to believe what they say here: https://www.dropboxf...ring-of-HTML-content

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27 PM »
@kilele: Thanks, I looked at the discussion thread at that link and read what I guess you were referring to, but it all seems to be hearsay and not from the horse's mouth (Dropbox), so i would tend to discount its validity on that basis alone.

There was also a suggestion in that discussion thread that people departing because of this action were "putting the final nails in" to Dropbox's coffin. I am not up-to-date, so have no idea what that was about. Have you any idea?
I shall meanwhile try and find out what rumours there are about Dropbox.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:35 AM by IainB »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 08:09 PM »
There was also a suggestion in that discussion thread that people departing because of this action were "putting the final nails in" to Dropbox's coffin. I am not up-to-date, so have no idea what that was about. Have you any idea?
I shall meanwhile try and find out what rumours there are about Dropbox.
I think that was just a funny comment from a grumpy xp user :)
They must have stopped xp support to reduce development costs and avoid security issues.