Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 30, 2014, 03:24:43 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DonationCoder.com IRC Channel  (Read 7271 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:06:12 AM »

In case anyone is interested, we have an irc channel, #donationcoder on the efnet FREENODE network.

For those that don't know, irc is kind of like a chat room system. that has been around for almost 20 years.

More info about irc can be found at http://www.mirc.com/irc.html.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:44:16 AM by mouser » Logged
brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:43:49 AM »

Wasn't able to find the other IRC thread right now, so I'm bumping this one instead smiley Don't be afraid of IRC, /join us there smiley

Thank you.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:47:38 AM »

http://www.donationcoder....rum/index.php?topic=772.0
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:47:45 AM »

Ok, I just installed trillian, connected to msn, but failed to connect to IRC.
Reading the help and googling is taking way too much time, it should be easier.

How do you connect to irc?
I have

efnet.demon.co.uk::6665-6669

but it doesn't seem to be connecting...
The "ball" that indicates connection in trillian is still transparent, the button becomes "disconnect" but nothing else changes i.e., I don't see a list of channels...
ugh! I wonder how teenagers do this smiley
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 07:52:46 AM »

efnet.demon.co.uk::6665-6669
You need to pick one port. So it can be any of the following:
  • efnet.demon.co.uk::6665
  • efnet.demon.co.uk::6666
  • efnet.demon.co.uk::6667
  • efnet.demon.co.uk::6668
  • efnet.demon.co.uk::6669

And that will connect you to a server. Then you need to join the channel #donationcoder.

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:11:18 AM »

all you have to do is press the following link: irc://efnet/donationcoder. (at least, it should work if you have mirc installed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:23:48 AM by jgpaiva » Logged

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »

pressing the link won't work, jgpaiva - it gets http://ized. (and that link obviously won't work either, hehe).

- carpe noctem
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:24:17 AM »

Grr... I tried to fix it, but there's no way. Well.. it was a good atempt, though Wink

Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:21:23 AM »

Try this:
http://www.hydrairc.com/

urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 12:00:30 PM »

Ok thanks,
I know what it doesn't work. My firewall (F-Secure) blocks the port, and reports a malware attack:

malware-Phatbot in

The DNS lookup brings this:

proxyscan-xs4all.nl

Is that related at all with IRC servers? Is that the way they operate? Show I create a rule that allows inbound traffic from these?

Thanks
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »

grr,

No matter what channel I use, or what programs, my firewall detects some port scanning,... and it's not the port that the IRC server should be using. (e.g., 3128)
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »

You need to differentiate between your connection to the IRC server and the server's proxy check. The IRC server is checking to see if you are a proxy server. It should not effect your ability to connect.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:27:23 AM »

Most IRC servers do open proxy scanning now, which is what you're experiencing. This is done because an amount of malware installs open proxies, which scriptkiddies can then use to connect to the net via your computer, and thus be more or less anonymous. The same kind of malware also tends to connect to irc which can then be used as a control channel.

That's why open proxy scanning is done. Then, why does your firewall flag it? Because scriptkiddies also do open proxy scanning, to see if there's some victims they can abuse. Pretty lame that it's being blocked as  "malware-Phatbot" when it should be "proxy scan" or similar.

- carpe noctem
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

Two there should be; no more, no less.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »

What is IRC? How to config/use it?...

Here's a well-written IRC tutorial to get you started  smiley

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »

here is another link, but this is Miranda-specific..

http://web.comhem.se/matrix/index.html

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »

Wordzilla's latest handi-work is available here: web-based live text chat channel interface.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

We are moving to the FREENODE network.  The online chat widget on the forum (see top buttons above) will take you to the right place.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »

We are moving to the FREENODE network.  The online chat widget on the forum (see top buttons above) will take you to the right place.

Gave it a test earlier today. Nice. Much faster connecting (and smoother running) than the old network. At least on my machine. Thmbsup

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.051s | Server load: 0.04 ]