ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

calendar that is happy in Windows and on tablet

<< < (3/6) > >>

Dormouse:
If added sophistication is needed, there is always Pimlical (to sit on top of the Google Cal feed).
-dr_andus (September 11, 2016, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's an example of a web site design that completely made me lose my interest in finding out about the software.  It's pretty terrible design.
-wraith808 (September 11, 2016, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
I remember Pimlical from the old Palm days. Market leader then.
Looks very similar now.
I doubt it has the flexibility in views that I 'need' (so not very tempted to check it out personally), but I accept that it is probably very functional.

xtabber:
I feel like I’ve spent much of my life looking for ways to keep synchronized calendars on my desktop computer and whatever portable device I was using, going all the way back to an HP-95LX.

eM Client is what I use these days to show my Google Calendar and  Contacts on my Windows PC.  I don’t use it for email.  I’m not crazy about its display options, but it works flawlessly for my purposes.

I used EssentialPIM for several years, but its synchronization with Google was always flaky and it had a tendency to corrupt its local databases, so I eventually gave up on it.  The EPIM Android app helps with synchronization but just adds another layer.  I have a lifetime pro license and have tried most new major releases, but it retains too many aggravating design flaws to be worth the trouble, IMHO.

I used Pimlical’s predecessor Datebook on the Palm Pilot and Treo back in the day. Pimlical can probably do anything anyone might want from a calendar app, but it’s way too complicated to deal with. While I liked supporting C.E.S. Dewar’s conservation causes, I’ve simply never been able justify the effort involved in setting up and configuring Pimlical to make its interface palatable, let alone use it every day.

dr_andus:
@wraith808

I see your point. I suspect that C.E.S. Dewar is really not all that much into attracting new customers and is mainly serving his loyal ex-Palm customer base that moved onto Android and miss the legendary Datebk app (of which I was a massive fan and which I sorely miss). He doesn't need to be 'selling' anymore, as his customers know why they are coming to him.

@Dormouse

I'd say that the "flexibility in views" is the key strength of Pimlical. It's got a variety of views that I've never seen in any other Calendar software.

@xtabber

I agree, Pimlical has way too many functions and options for everyday mortals. I don't use it daily either. I use it for backing up my Google Calendar a few times a week, and for conducting granular searches when I struggle to find an old event in Google Calendar.

Steven Avery:
Thanks!

I do have a license for VueMinder Pro.  That would probably be as good as it gets on the Window side.  Presumably, you lose some view and category stuff when you land on the other end at the tablet?  That was what I was hoping to avoid. Plus it is nice if you can add an event from the tablet side. Still might be the best way to go, top-down from Windows.

However, I wonder what the best sync (iPad mainly) to Windows calendar that might really work, similar to how Evernote (for all the grumbling) really works. Good desktop client and reasonable web interface plus they have a good app.  The trifecta!  (Thinking this out, why I like it. The web interface means libraries and hotels work immediately. The desktop client is optional if there is a robust web interface.)

Thus, the company would really have to have their own app and Windows desktop or web interface software. I may be asking the impossible.   I don't think a browser calendar will be robust enough.

Maybe I should discuss this on the Evernote forums too.

Looking at DuoServe (starts at $20 mo..oops) and Ominder (skimpy calendear functionality, in the genre of SMS messages.)  (urls above).

Steven

wraith808:
I personally use Pocket Informant.  It doesn't meet all of your requirements, which is why I didn't mention it before now; there's not a client on the non-mobile platforms.  But it syncs with just about everything, including evernote.  And I find it works well for that.  Just figured I'd go ahead and mention it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version