topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: calendar that is happy in Windows and on tablet  (Read 19544 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
calendar that is happy in Windows and on tablet
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:37 PM »
The nice thing with Evernote is that it has generally very smooth and easy integration from Windows to my tablets (mostly iPad although Android is nice too). I add a picture in Windows, it shows up in the tablet. I write up a new note on the road, jottings, in the tablet, it shows up in Windows. There are limitations, of course (e.g. you can't add pics by pasting in the tablet) but it is the smoothest integration I know. It has actually been very helpful and thus I am now an Evernote and Notezilla guy- (Thank you Gautam for working with that Notezilla data question., I'll try to get back to you in a few.)  The two both have superb features.

=================

Now I want similar in calendars. I would like to avoid a 2-step, working though something like a Google Calendar as an intermediary. Yet I would also like to have reasonably decent  filter/category/ tag or
layering functionality. e.g. Show me all the events related to local happenings. Or all the business events.  (Right now my calendar is kept in my Firefox bookmarks bar, which is actually quite nice for some Windows elements.  However I missed a little event yesterday, the tree-hugger sloop Clearwater event on the Kingston, NY beach, and I decided I need improvement.)

Your thoughts on a good  Calendar software method?  That makes you happy on Windows and the iPad?  Adding new events on the iPad is not so important, though, since you can make an Evernote and get to it later.  Adding events will generally be done on the home Windows puter.  Viewing will be home on Windows or iPad.  The viewing, at least on Windows, should be moderately sophisticated.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: calendar that is happy in Windows and on tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Now I want similar in calendars. I would like to avoid a 2-step, working though something like a Google Calendar as an intermediary.

I run a tiny Radicale CalDAV service on my server at home.  Client devices include my family's various Android phones and tablets, iOS phones, Windows, and Linux boxes.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 05:02 PM »
I run EssentialPIM Pro on Windows and Android.  They sync nicely over local WiFi without needing the cloud.  If you must have the cloud, the Pro edition, but not the Free one, will also sync with Google Calendar and several other cloud services.  You'd probably want the payware Pro for categories, etc.  It's sometimes on Bits du Jour.  AstonSoft also offer an iOS version, but I don't have any iStuff.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50 PM »
What's the problem with going through Google Calendar, or similar? There might be 2 steps, but they take place automatically in the background. And easy to replace a component if one is discontinued or you dislike its progress.

I use VueMinder Pro on Windows and Business Calendar on Android. I assume I had something on ios when I tried it out, but don't remember now. I have no problems with it and it all seems pretty seamless and effective. I have EssentialPIM Pro but have never used its calendar really.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56 AM »
What's the problem with going through Google Calendar, or similar?

Or just using Google Calendar (in the browser on a PC and using the default iOS and Android calendar apps on mobile devices)?

If added sophistication is needed, there is always Pimlical (to sit on top of the Google Cal feed).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 06:03 PM »
If added sophistication is needed, there is always Pimlical (to sit on top of the Google Cal feed).

That's an example of a web site design that completely made me lose my interest in finding out about the software.  It's pretty terrible design.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 09:28 PM »
As designs go, that pimlical site is fugly indeed.

There used to be something called OpenCal. This would allow you to create your own schedule, look into shared calendars from others (friends, family, coworkers) and there was an option for businesses to share their events as well. But it was gobbled up by Groupon in 2011 and well, nothing.

Google provided this overview of alternatives (https://www.getapp.com/customer-management-software/a/opencal/alternatives/). Perhaps one of them works for your intends and purposes.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Further research revealed: https://www.ominder.com/  which seems to be quite interesting and free/cheap. Not like this one.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 02:54 AM »
@wraith808 & @Shades

Judging a book by its cover, are we? I'd rather take an awsome software with a crap website than the other way round (which seem to abound...).

Pimlical beats Google at its own game many times over when it comes to searching 10+ yrs worth of Google Calendar events. That's not bad for a one-man band....

Another software of interest in this category is eM Client (which I haven't tried yet).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:57 AM »
No, judging a book by the frustration in reading.  To continuing the analogy, sometimes I get into a book, and when I begin reading, I determine that it's too frustrating to read.  At the end, it might be a good book.  But I have to determine if I'm going to slog through the beginning.

When I go to the pimlical site, I have to put an inordinate amount of effort into finding information.  That's not looking at the cover, that's jumping in and getting frustrated.  For example, the two arrows on the right of the listings that point to the right.  What do they mean?  What's the difference?  I went through a few, and they were not what I was looking for.  So I spent the time clicking and loading- to find out that wasn't the information I was looking for.  That's inexcusable.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34 PM »

That's an example of a web site design that completely made me lose my interest in finding out about the software.  It's pretty terrible design.
I remember Pimlical from the old Palm days. Market leader then.
Looks very similar now.
I doubt it has the flexibility in views that I 'need' (so not very tempted to check it out personally), but I accept that it is probably very functional.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 02:00 PM »
I feel like I’ve spent much of my life looking for ways to keep synchronized calendars on my desktop computer and whatever portable device I was using, going all the way back to an HP-95LX.

eM Client is what I use these days to show my Google Calendar and  Contacts on my Windows PC.  I don’t use it for email.  I’m not crazy about its display options, but it works flawlessly for my purposes.

I used EssentialPIM for several years, but its synchronization with Google was always flaky and it had a tendency to corrupt its local databases, so I eventually gave up on it.  The EPIM Android app helps with synchronization but just adds another layer.  I have a lifetime pro license and have tried most new major releases, but it retains too many aggravating design flaws to be worth the trouble, IMHO.

I used Pimlical’s predecessor Datebook on the Palm Pilot and Treo back in the day. Pimlical can probably do anything anyone might want from a calendar app, but it’s way too complicated to deal with. While I liked supporting C.E.S. Dewar’s conservation causes, I’ve simply never been able justify the effort involved in setting up and configuring Pimlical to make its interface palatable, let alone use it every day.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 03:06 PM »
@wraith808

I see your point. I suspect that C.E.S. Dewar is really not all that much into attracting new customers and is mainly serving his loyal ex-Palm customer base that moved onto Android and miss the legendary Datebk app (of which I was a massive fan and which I sorely miss). He doesn't need to be 'selling' anymore, as his customers know why they are coming to him.

@Dormouse

I'd say that the "flexibility in views" is the key strength of Pimlical. It's got a variety of views that I've never seen in any other Calendar software.

@xtabber

I agree, Pimlical has way too many functions and options for everyday mortals. I don't use it daily either. I use it for backing up my Google Calendar a few times a week, and for conducting granular searches when I struggle to find an old event in Google Calendar.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Thanks!

I do have a license for VueMinder Pro.  That would probably be as good as it gets on the Window side.  Presumably, you lose some view and category stuff when you land on the other end at the tablet?  That was what I was hoping to avoid. Plus it is nice if you can add an event from the tablet side. Still might be the best way to go, top-down from Windows.

However, I wonder what the best sync (iPad mainly) to Windows calendar that might really work, similar to how Evernote (for all the grumbling) really works. Good desktop client and reasonable web interface plus they have a good app.  The trifecta!  (Thinking this out, why I like it. The web interface means libraries and hotels work immediately. The desktop client is optional if there is a robust web interface.)

Thus, the company would really have to have their own app and Windows desktop or web interface software. I may be asking the impossible.   I don't think a browser calendar will be robust enough.

Maybe I should discuss this on the Evernote forums too.

Looking at DuoServe (starts at $20 mo..oops) and Ominder (skimpy calendear functionality, in the genre of SMS messages.)  (urls above).

Steven
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:49 AM by Steven Avery »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I personally use Pocket Informant.  It doesn't meet all of your requirements, which is why I didn't mention it before now; there's not a client on the non-mobile platforms.  But it syncs with just about everything, including evernote.  And I find it works well for that.  Just figured I'd go ahead and mention it.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 02:08 AM »
Hi,

Do you get a smidgen of category or layering capability?  A little sophistication?

I am actually keeping my "event calendar" now in my Firefox toolbar, in one folder with a couple of subfolders (e.g. "Weekly Farmers Markets" "2017") and I keep them in date order.  As long as you are working with a few dozen events it works well, although of course it is funky in that you don't have reminders, or a visual calendar, stuff like that.  However, once I place the event in, it is at least very easy to go right back to the page url.  (This is especially good for things like concerts, movies, meetings, that you might want to note .. e.g. Snowden is playing with a live feed after the movie tomorrow night, I just think Stone might have made it a bit risque.)

This is my current Rube Goldberg calendar system.  If I had a good iPad utility, I might keep that as my Windows method. 

Steven
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:20 AM by Steven Avery »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:55 AM »
eM Client is what I use these days to show my Google Calendar and  Contacts on my Windows PC.

Have tried now eM Client and it is indeed quite nice. It's a keeper. I particularly like that the Agenda view displays all items from the beginning of time (2007 for me) in an easily scrollable format. It complements Pimlical well (which is capable of telling me that I have 7909 items).

I have also tried ViewMinder some time ago but got frustrated with it as it kept crashing and stalling my system.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 09:34 AM »
Hi,

Do you get a smidgen of category or layering capability?  A little sophistication?

I am actually keeping my "event calendar" now in my Firefox toolbar, in one folder with a couple of subfolders (e.g. "Weekly Farmers Markets" "2017") and I keep them in date order.  As long as you are working with a few dozen events it works well, although of course it is funky in that you don't have reminders, or a visual calendar, stuff like that.  However, once I place the event in, it is at least very easy to go right back to the page url.  (This is especially good for things like concerts, movies, meetings, that you might want to note .. e.g. Snowden is playing with a live feed after the movie tomorrow night, I just think Stone might have made it a bit risque.)

This is my current Rube Goldberg calendar system.  If I had a good iPad utility, I might keep that as my Windows method. 

Steven

Who is this directed towards?  If me, then yes, each event that you enter has a space for Tags.  There is also the ability to merge multiple calendars in one view, which I do - I have a calendar for Yanado, for Work, For Home, and For Family, and all show in the same view.  I also have it syncing with Toodledo for my todos- I find it better to work with software that has one intended task rather than trying to be the kitchen sink, though PI comes close to being in that category, I find that it's just enough without being too much.

See for yourself to an extent; the manual can be found at http://download.pock...%20User%20Manual.pdf.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Yes, that is a strong and clear enough recommendation for me to move ahead with Pocket Informant on the iPad. Thanks!

Can two or three ipads access the data from one account. (For just the price of admission in each one, maybe about $7 if I remember?).  Normally that would not be an issue, but Evernote now limits their Basic account to two devices (although they do it nicely and it is easy to drop one and add the other.)

Then you can export back to Windows (perhaps losing out on tags and merging). Or do sync. This is the flip-side of the VueMinder alternative where the robust end would be in Windows.  The Synchronization Chapter 6 starting on p. 58 is rather impressive.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Can two or three ipads access the data from one account. (For just the price of admission in each one, maybe about $7 if I remember?).  Normally that would not be an issue, but Evernote now limits their Basic account to two devices (although they do it nicely and it is easy to drop one and add the other.)

Pocket Informant is a universal app; I have one license, and use it on my iPad, my iPad Mini, and my iPhone.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 10:24 AM »
I feel like I’ve spent much of my life looking for ways to keep synchronized calendars on my desktop computer and whatever portable device I was using
Very much ditto
I have emClient. Used it for a while for email, but stopped. Too much time spent in syncing and checking database after unexpected closures.

I remember using PocketInformant on my Windows Phone; can't remember whether I had it on a Palm.

I was had a quick revisit (& Pimlical) not so much for a Calendar (because I'm very happy with my current system) but for ToDos. I think I have tried nearly all the programs out there (and bought a fair few) without anything that really works for me overall.
I really like AbstractSpoon's ToDoList but the Android app isn't so functional and only syncs via Dropbox.
I use Google Keep a lot because it works well everywhere, and is very simple. But limited.
I'd prefer not to work through an app specific cloud (my one big dislike about Notezilla), and am happy to try to work within the limitations of Google Tasks/Calendar for mobile syncing (I think).

What I really want is:
  • a simple, easy entry (task title only) hierarchical to do list
  • With the capability of adding a range of other attributes (category, tag, dates, etc etc) if I want them. I find it very helpful to structure projects.
  • With easy organisation and being able to see everything I want on screen.
  • And syncing on to mobile platforms, preferably through Google.

I have an EssentialPIM licence and I'm trying that atm having done a quick review of the options. Looks as if it might work.
I've been here a lot of times before ...  :(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Have you tried Toodledo?

http://www.toodledo.com/

That's what I use with Pocket Informant to have my data available where ever I want it.  They concentrate on the basic service, and leave the rest to 3rd party apps, though they do have their own native app for iOS and Android.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 12:08 PM »
@Doormouse

There is Moo.do that now has some Google integration (haven't tried it, I'm happy using WorkFlowy with HandyFlowy on iOS).

Moo.do turns Gmail into a task management system | TechCrunch

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions

Have you tried Toodledo?

That's what I use with Pocket Informant to have my data available where ever I want it.

My problem would be that it's a web app and my web is often absent.
OTOH I notice that it is on the Sync option list of EssentialPIM, so if I like that but dislike syncing tasks through Google, I could always do it through Toodledo.

Aha! Looks as if I had a Toodledo account in 2010, which finally expired through disuse in 2013; I'd had disuse reminders annually but finally decided that if I hadn't once used it in 3 years there was no point in renewing. Can't remember what I disliked; I assume it has moved on since then anyway. I'll have another look.
Had another look. Will probably do what I want but would be $15 or $30 a year. I'll see how EssentialPIM gets on working through Google.

@Doormouse

There is Moo.do that now has some Google integration (haven't tried it, I'm happy using WorkFlowy with HandyFlowy on iOS).
Moo.do seemed quite interesting until I noticed the price for Google sync  :o. But very much designed around email management and I don't need another email app. And it only has a Chrome app rather than a full Windows client.
I've never understood why I seem unable to get into Workflowy despite several attempts.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:43 PM by Dormouse, Reason: updating »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions

Have you tried Toodledo?

That's what I use with Pocket Informant to have my data available where ever I want it.

My problem would be that it's a web app and my web is often absent.
OTOH I notice that it is on the Sync option list of EssentialPIM, so if I like that but dislike syncing tasks through Google, I could always do it through Toodledo.

I haven't used it on the web in... forever.  So much so, that I didn't know about a lot that had been added.  I just used it to schedule my todos, and I put them in through PI.  It syncs everything, and I only ever see PI, offline, until it needs to sync.

I've never understood why I seem unable to get into Workflowy despite several attempts.
Same here.