topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: No video after resuming from sleep - Windows 10 Anniversary Edition  (Read 14489 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: No video after resuming from sleep - Windows 10 Anniversary Edition
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Maybe I'll give the Anniversary Update another go again, who knows, it might decide to work on my machine.

Re. the monitor, first thing I usually think of when anyone mentions a TV, monitor, computer, or such needs to "warm up" before it works properly is the electrolytic capacitors in the switchmode PSU, (or main board),  have started getting way out of spec due to age.

Can be replaced easily enough if you're competent with a soldering iron but there are some lethal voltages lurking in the PSU, especially the discharge from the main capacitor.

Salvaged plenty of things just by replacing the capacitors in the equipment, spending <$20 and an hour or so has always been preferable to spending a lot more to replace the equipment, eg. salvaging a discarded complete Dell XPS730 by replacing 5 capacitors on the motherboard  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 08:15 AM »
ive had dying monitors that had similar behavior.
eventually they stop working.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Salvaged plenty of things just by replacing the capacitors in the equipment, spending <$20 and an hour or so has always been preferable to spending a lot more to replace the equipment

This.  I've done the same to many a monitor/TV/motherboard over the years.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Failing to come out of sleep has been happening to me, ever since anniversary too, may be even before anniversary actually. I blamed it on it being an Windows 7 era Vaio not officially Windows 10 supported. Have been doing same thing as no sleep, only shutdown or on.

Not to hijack, but if anybody reading this has any advice for my version would be appreciated.

Screenshot - 1_31_2017 , 12_04_28 PM.pngNo video after resuming from sleep - Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Can be replaced easily enough if you're competent with a soldering iron but there are some lethal voltages lurking in the PSU, especially the discharge from the main capacitor.

I'm usually glad to take things apart and tinker with them. But I decided I'd better not ever mess inside of monitors when I learned about those lethal voltages.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Wasn't this high voltage thing a thing from the past? CRT monitors/TVs needed 10.000Volts to get the system started, but I thought that such high voltages aren't required for LCD-/LED-based monitors or TVs.

Of course, a jolt of 220-240 volts or 110 Volts isn't fun either...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Wasn't this high voltage thing a thing from the past? CRT monitors/TVs needed 10.000Volts to get the system started, but I thought that such high voltages aren't required for LCD-/LED-based monitors or TVs.

You're correct, it's not high voltage as such, being below 1000V it's technically low voltage but still hazardous/lethal.

The main capacitor of a switchmode PSU can discharge around 350-400V, it's usually the biggest and closest to the AC input, can be anything around 220-400uF.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 01:56 AM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46 PM »
But as of about mid-December, my other monitor has started having issues when I turn on my PC, though I'm fairly confident it's unrelated. My screen is a pale grey, then looks like "clouds" form on it, then there are either some bright or dark lines of pixels that show up at the top, soon replaced by several lines of glitchy pixels at the top of the screen which gradually expand down toward the bottom until finally the picture comes back, but the colors are messed up. Once it reaches that point, I can shut the monitor off and turn it on again and the colors are all good. But if I try to restart the monitor earlier in the process, it continues about from where it left off. It's like it needs to "warm up" a bit first. It has happened both when resuming from sleep and also when powering on from an off state.

I took a video of it using my tablet. It seems to be worse and last longer since I took this video:

This problem went away once the weather warmed up. And suddenly this past week when it finally cooled down again the problem has returned. So it does seem to be related to the monitor's temperature.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 08:03 PM »
This problem went away once the weather warmed up. And suddenly this past week when it finally cooled down again the problem has returned. So it does seem to be related to the monitor's temperature.

Still looks/sounds like classic symptoms of the electrolytics dying.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 07:55 PM »
There you go, this problem seemed to have been fixed in some MS update at some point since it hadn't occurred on my machine since a couple or so months after the initial Anniversary Update.

Have now upgraded the HD6850 to a RX560 and it's back ... terrific  :-\

Machine is totally unresponsive trying to wake from sleep mode sometimes which then needs a push of the reset button.

Time to dive into the Eventlog and Google again.