ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

No video after resuming from sleep - Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

<< < (2/7) > >>

Deozaan:
An aside:

Honestly it's probably about time to upgrade to a newer GPU anyway (the fan is starting to make a lot of noise) but it's not in the budget at the moment.
-Deozaan (September 04, 2016, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm also surprised that what I thought was a lower-to-mid-range GPU I got 5 years still ranks fairly high up there according to this chart, and spending the same amount of money today that I spent on it 5 years ago will get me a GPU that is only three tiers higher on that chart. It would move me from the 12th best tier to the 9th best tier. :(

I certainly expected the price to be lower or the performance to be much better by now. :-\

IainB:
From experience, the relative "newness" of the GPU drivers may be irrelevant. Sometimes the "latest" GPU drivers may not actually be "the best" for a given case. It is worth experimenting.

Again, from experience, the noisy fan thing may also be irrelevant. The word to use here is "maintenance". Try dismantling and cleaning the fan and heat exchanger, and especially cleaning/lubricating the fan spindle with CRC, or something that doesn't offend electrics - that can make a world of difference. Make it just like a new fan.

Deozaan:
Again, from experience, the noisy fan thing may also be irrelevant. The word to use here is "maintenance". Try dismantling and cleaning the fan and heat exchanger, and especially cleaning/lubricating the fan spindle with CRC, or something that doesn't offend electrics - that can make a world of difference. Make it just like a new fan.
-IainB (September 04, 2016, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the 2nd fan on this GPU after the first one completely failed.

It was noisy, like it is now, so I took it apart and lubricated it with WD-40. It was nice and quiet for a while, but it wasn't long (as in a month or two) before the noise started up again. Eventually (months later) it ground to a halt and when I took it apart again I saw what appeared to be ruined ball-bearings.

You saying "something that doesn't offend electrics" caused me to do some research. I see now that WD-40 is bad for electronics and may have been what caused it to go from just noisy to completely broken. Oops! :-[

Anyway, I contacted the manufacturer after the original fan failed and got a replacement from them (because it seems to be non-standard and I couldn't find a generic/replacement fan online anywhere). Once again it was nice and quiet for a while. But after only about 5 months it started making some noise again, which came and went for awhile. That was nearly 2 years ago and now the noise is pretty consistently there. I haven't attempted lubricating it since I figured it was just a faulty design (and saw other similar complaints in reviews for the product). But now that I know it was probably me who ruined the last one, I may spend a few bucks to get some proper lubrication for it and attempt it once more.

It sure would be nice to have a quiet GPU again. :) Well, quiet is a relative term, since by default it comes with two speed settings: Loud, and louder! (But I use SpeedFan to reduce the fan speed to make it quieter when it doesn't need to be running so fast.)

Shades:
Failing fans on GPUs is quite common where I live. Subtropical ambient temperatures and often humid...that doesn't help with longevity of fans. That is to say, GPU fans. Case fans are much "sturdier" in my experience and if you don't care much about the looks of the GPU inside your case, then try to fit a case fan onto the heatsink of the GPU.

Fugly, but your GPU is getting lots of cooling and depending on the model case fan, it can be a very quiet solution. Even if you cannot mount a case fan directly, putting an extra case fan as close as possible to the GPU also works quite well. Especially if you can make some sort of funnel to pull the heat from the GPU. Case fans are much easier to replace or maintain and usually cost much less than a new GPU.

IainB:
@Deozaan: Yes, using the wrong lubricant can apparently tend to wreck your nearby electrics and conductivity, though being somewhat cautious and having read of others' accidents in this regard, I personally have avoided making the same mistake.

I used to use CRC as that is a superb penetrating lubricant and it says it is good/OK for demoisturising car ignition contacts, but over the last few years I've been using something called inox-mx3 for things like laptop cooling fans as that says it's OK with electric motor windings, etc..
Laptop fans are beautifully simple bits of engineering, albeit a bit delicate, and in their normal operational position (upside down) they hang in the air by magnetic force attraction to their spindle and its base, and they are thus virtually frictionless. With occasional maintenance, they could last for ages. It's probably best not to let them run too long in a noisy or laptop-overheated state though - same probably goes for any PC (CPU/GPU) cooling fan.
I just wish laptop manufacturers would make them easier to get at for maintenance work.

Good idea to use SpeedFan too. Is very useful. I discovered a while back that SpeedFan has an option Info-->DIMM Info-->Read Info that can tell you all about your installed RAM - very informative. It apparently gets the info via the SMBus, but doesn't seem to work with all SMBuses - or maybe the RAM is connected to a different Bus in those cases, I don't know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version