topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Was Firefox 47.0.1 the end of the line for you as well?  (Read 15440 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Was Firefox 47.0.1 the end of the line for you as well?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 11:54 AM »
How does one tell which type (32 or 64-bit) one has? It's not mentioned in the "About" section.
Check the install location. If it's in "Program Files" then it's 64-bit. If it's in "Program Files (x86)" then it's 32-bit.

- eh, no! On a 32-bits system the %1% is "Program Files", because there is no other system.

In which case if you try to run a 64 bit exe you'll get an error anyway.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 11:58 AM »
^oh yes, of course

So I was saying the right thing, but barking up the wrong tree.  :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2016, 12:21 PM »
^oh yes, of course

When Microsoft wants to jump from one "bitness" to another, like calling a 32 bit routine from 64 bit code, they use a "thunk."  My theory is that the programmer who thought up that idea conjugated the verb "to think" as "think" "thank" "thunk."   :)  At least that's what I thunk when I read it the first time.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 03:36 PM »
How does one tell which type (32 or 64-bit) one has? It's not mentioned in the "About" section.
Check the install location. If it's in "Program Files" then it's 64-bit. If it's in "Program Files (x86)" then it's 32-bit.

- eh, no! On a 32-bits system the %1% is "Program Files", because there is no other system.

If you have a 32-bit system, you don't have the problem.  You couldn't install the 64-bit so it must be 32-bit.  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2016, 03:40 PM »
the verb "to think" as "think" "thank" "thunk."
Thunk you very much?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 05:26 PM »
yæøå are vocals too...

thank|thenk|think|thonk|thunk|thynk|thænk|thønk|thånk

:-[
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:46 AM by Curt »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 06:44 PM »
^oh yes, of course

When Microsoft wants to jump from one "bitness" to another, like calling a 32 bit routine from 64 bit code, they use a "thunk."  My theory is that the programmer who thought up that idea conjugated the verb "to think" as "think" "thank" "thunk."   :)  At least that's what I thunk when I read it the first time.  :)

Interestingly, thunk is listed as the informal term for "thud", as in, that joke landed like a ... :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 09:50 AM »
^oh yes, of course

Interestingly, thunk is listed as the informal term for "thud", as in, that joke landed like a ... :P

I appreciate your comment.  Thunk you very much.  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Regarding SlimJet:

I wouldn't have even tried it due to all of the "Engrish" on the website if not for the seeming recommendation from multiple folks in this thread.

For a browser that prides itself in automatically stopping tracking and blocking ads, it sure comes with a lot of built-in ads and other prompts to get you to use their referral links and things. :down:

It also wants me to "sign into SlimJet" which as far as I can tell is just signing into my Google Account, which means Google can still track everything I do, but also perhaps SlimJet can as well.

I don't trust it. It seems shady to me. Uninstalled.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 06:24 PM »
@Deozaan: Well, having made the initial investment of your time, you should perhaps have persevered and experimented a little longer before throwing in the towel, and then you might have realised some good returns - as I did, in fact.
I had similar thoughts to you, but persevered and banged in all the extensions that I felt I needed (minus the AdBlock one), taking a suck-it-and-see approach and half-expecting to break the camel's back, but no, the adverts simply never occur and the thing's performance seems just fine - very good in fact. I have some minor criticisms of the software, but I am pretty sure that those will be sorted in due course. Even my 6 y/o son prefers Slimjet now - the acid test.

Conversely, as a FF die-hard and after a great deal of perseverance on my part, and in the continuing hope that things would improve, I had to face up to the reality that Mozilla had pretty much conclusively demonstrated to any sighted observer that they were not going to cease screwing up or killing their formerly excellent Firefox product, and so I reluctantly voted with my feet.

As in a lot of major changes that one sometimes makes in one's life, one wonders afterwards "Now why didn't I do that earlier?"