topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do we stop using folder Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell  (Read 4465 times)

c627627

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The program uses folder Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell to store everything there.

People sometimes move the Documents folder away from C: drive and to a custom location which gets backed up frequently.
We certainly *do not* want everything we ever copy-pasted to be included in those backups and the only way to avoid that is to have a custom storage location that Clipboard Help+Spell could use.

How do we do that?
How do we stop Clipboard Help+Spell from using the Windows Documents folder to store sensitive information in it?
Thank you.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Edit the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Clipboard Help+Spell\ConfigDir.ini" and specify the custom directory where you wish all CHS settings and data to be stored (don't forget to remove the // at the start of the line).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure whether this helps, but quite a while back I wanted to achieve the same independence and so installed FARR and CHS thusly:
      C:\UTIL\Windows utilities\FindAndRunRobot\Plugins\Clipboard Help+Spell
- where "C:\UTIL\Windows utilities" is actually a Junction Point of a OneDrive folder.
"ConfigDir.ini" was left untouched/unedited.
Seemed to work OK, anyway.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if i would recommend junction points but you do remind me that if you want to run CHS portably you can do that, either downloading the portable zip version or editing the ConfigDir.ini to say it's portable rather than specifying a hard coded path.

c627627

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you. I added instructions below to my notes.
Perhaps this could be added to program options?

OFF TOPIC: I am not asking you to change the app, take this solely as user feedback:
It took me three days on my new system to figure out that the annoying sound was coming from Clipboard Help+Spell default options to make a sound every time copy function was executed.

Most app sounds should usually be set to off by default with an *option* to turn sounds on.

Clipboard data is stored in the Windows Documents folder.
To set a custom location where clipboard data is stored, separate from where the program is installed, for example, to set Clipboard data location as E:\Program Files\Clipboard Help+Spell

Exit the program.
Use Notepad to open C:\Program Files (x86)\Clipboard Help+Spell\ConfigDir.ini
Edit line
// CONFIGDIR = %MYDOCUMENTS%
So that it says
CONFIGDIR = E:\Program Files\Clipboard Help+Spell
[Without // in the beginning of the line.]
Save the edited file and restart the program.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if i would recommend junction points...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, I don't have much experience with junction points, though I understand they can be very useful in some cases.  But because CHS, FARR, and the rest of my apps offer a simple way to tell the program exactly where to store your data files (or run them completely portably), it seems like junction points are overkill.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OIC. Thanks.
I used to have all my FARR, CHS, and other vitally important utilities nested within a folder C:\UTIL\
However, as an experiment in backing up and creating a common framework of proggies on any laptop, I moved C:\UTIL\ into OneDrive. I then put junction points to the OneDrive location(s) into the original C:\UTIL - so I didn't need to change any of the existing Autohotkey code and FARR aliases that addressed them. It's a bit like using a Chromebook and seems to work seamlessly from any of the laptops I use, and arguably saves me some backing-up, though I can see a potential flaw in that argument. Waiting for the double-update conflict, or something worse ... It has its pros and cons.
I did wonder about using some other type of hard/symbolic link, but I felt I understood the JPs a little better (having played about  with them before) and they are easy to populate/remove using xplorer², which is designed to use them.