ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Vopt 9 defragger free

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
My bad, I saw this the other day on a different website and considered it was a nice afterthought from the creator. Just thought that I should mention it here. Guess I should have visited the vopt site first before posting.  :-[
-Shades (August 11, 2016, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, shame on you @Shades.

I tried Vopt out a couple of weeks back when I saw the announcement. It seems to do a reasonable enough job, but quite honestly I have no idea how one can accurately and objectively measure the difference between one defragger and the next. I have therefore been using the inbuilt defragger in Win10. (Why not?)
I like the screen in Vopt and others where you can see all the little squares changing in colour as the defragging proceeds. I find it quite restful - almost hypnotic. Ahhhhh, yes, patterns...    :-*

Stoic Joker:
I like the screen in Vopt and others where you can see all the little squares changing in colour as the defragging proceeds. I find it quite restful - almost hypnotic. -IainB (August 12, 2016, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Anything graphical will tend to slow down the process activity it's depicting ... But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. :D

4wd:
Still wish someone would come up with the equivalent of the ReOrg defragger from the Amiga days, ridiculously fast (when not using verification) and could change the filesystem on the fly.

It read as much of the disk as would fit in memory, reorganise it, then write it back out, and continue until the disk was done.  It was likened to throwing all your blocks up into the air all at once and they land completely organised.

None of this grab a file at a time, play with it, write it back out, make sure it was really written tip-toeing around ... yes, it's not for the paranoid.  :P

IainB:
Anything graphical will tend to slow down the process activity it's depicting ... But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. :D
-Stoic Joker (August 12, 2016, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I tend to feel a bit guilty about watching the graphics - I know it probably slows the processing down, and I know I could be doing something more useful, but - but - but - the patterns! ...

MilesAhead:
-Stoic Joker (August 12, 2016, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I tend to feel a bit guilty about watching the graphics - I know it probably slows the processing down, and I know I could be doing something more useful, but - but - but - the patterns! ...
-IainB (August 12, 2016, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, if I could only come up with a front loader washing machine that cleaned my clothes, removed viruses from and defragged my HD, and showed the Patriots NFL games in HD, I could watch it all day.  Provided a comfortable recliner, cold Pellegrino, and Doritos and dip were at the ready.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version