topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Upgrade your PC or build a new one with Logical Increments  (Read 3383 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,

I recently came across this site which gives detailed information about components, with charts and tables making it easy to compare performance and price of certain builds. So the next time you're looking to upgrade your PC or want to build a new one, it may be worthwhile to check out Logical Increments.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Upgrade your PC or build a new one with Logical Increments
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 07:04 AM »
Hi all,

I recently came across this site which gives detailed information about components, with charts and tables making it easy to compare performance and price of certain builds. So the next time you're looking to upgrade your PC or want to build a new one, it may be worthwhile to check out Logical Increments.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Not a hardware related question.  But back in 486 days the guy who built my PC included Windows 3.0 shrink wrapped.  He said he was a "licensed reseller" and got the software at less than half the retail price.  I think Microsoft discontinued that program.  But since they have a way of renaming the same old ketchup and putting it in a different bottle I was wondering if you had heard of something similar where people with a business LLC or INC could get Windows wholesale for build installs?

I am just curious because a kid in my Computer Repair class is under the delusion you can build systems and just pre-load Windows from a retail DVD.  I tried to tell him the activations would catch up to him if he just kept on with this method.

Thanks for the link.  When I a get the chance I want to do a computer room with maybe a half dozen builds networked with various OS.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:19 PM »
But since they have a way of renaming the same old ketchup and putting it in a different bottle I was wondering if you had heard of something similar where people with a business LLC or INC could get Windows wholesale for build installs?

I am just curious because a kid in my Computer Repair class is under the delusion you can build systems and just pre-load Windows from a retail DVD.  I tried to tell him the activations would catch up to him if he just kept on with this method.

My guess is that kid is doing one of the following, most likely the last one:

• I've heard of some schools offering a deal to computer-related majors a free subscription to Microsoft's TechNet, which includes free licenses for every available version of Windows, which could be installed on up to 10 different machines. (But that was probably close to 10 years ago when I heard about it, so things have probably changed.)
  • I have also heard of Enterprise/Volume Licenses that can be used on many many many different computers.
  • And finally, I've also heard of "warez" activators that will trick Windows into thinking it is legitimately activated. This would allow a person to install from a retail DVD and "activate" a completely different serial than the one that came with the DVD.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:16 PM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I've heard of some schools offering a deal along with computer-related majors of a free account to Microsoft's TechNet Subscription, which includes free licenses for every available version of Windows that could be installed on 10 different machines. (But that was probably close to 10 years ago when I heard about it, so things have probably changed.)

TechNet is gone, but there are still MSDN subscription (in the $500 range) that include Multi Activation Keys. They are only for internal use - legally... - However...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I did get a hit on Microsoft Licensed Reseller but with dynamic page generation I have no idea how old the page really is:

https://partner.micr...a-licensing-reseller

I know I saw something about changes to the program back 4 or 5 years ago.  Probably people were getting wise and college kids may have started selling Window at a big discount by becoming licensed resellers.  There is likely a higher threshold to qualify these days.  But maybe not.  If I think of it I'll mention it to the kid in question next class.  I think the guy who built my system said he just needed a tax number(that you get when you create an LLC) to qualify.