ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Toying with TheBat! - any plugin suggestions?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I've gone back to Outlook for the time being - theBat isn't for me (shame really - if they get HTML sorted out and import/export options then I may reconsider).

Courier appears to be in limbo but Rose City are still wanting to develop it (they are looking for programmers if anyone is interested in some work). I have emailed them to ask what is going on and put a bid in for a few features in the next version if/when it appears. Again until it has decent import/export functions I think it is a non-starter.

To me an absolute pre-requiste of any email client is that it should be able to export you mail in a format readable by other email programs - and esp. the industry standards like OE and Outlook. They should at least be able to Export! (Courier seems to lack this basic functionality)

JavaJones:
Agreed, import/export is huge. Most clients do fall down on this requirement though. Even if they advertise good import/export support, it is not always so. Thuderbird doesn't really work with large Outlook .pst's so you have to go through an Outlook Express import first. :P

- Oshyan

rjbull:
CarolHaynes,

Take a look at these DC threads:
Geminisoft Pimmy  and related to it  Downloading your Gmail account  also Opera deserves a real try

Allen appears to be DC's resident email client expert  :)  These mostly mention Pimmy, The Bat!, and Opera M2.

There are clients, such as PocoMail.  It seems to be fashionable to dismiss Pegasus, which is a pity; but Pegasus could make it easier to work out how to set up multiple email accounts.

Cloq:
I switched from Courier to TheBat! primarily because TheBat! supports SSL/TLS authentication and mailbox encryption. That way my username/password and mail data is encrypted both in transmission and on my HD.

Courier has one thing that I really really love, it stores EVERYTHING (config and data) in one file! :-* :-*
Portability/backup has never been easier.  :Thmbsup:

TheBat! does do an UNIX style export of email. It isn't elegant but it does work... to an extent. It exports all your email in huge block.. as for attachments, I never had that work too well. I usually end up copying the attachments out of my email and saving it elsewhere. Since I don't have the need to switch to another email client, I just leave all attachments in my mail as is.

IF and WHEN courier supports SSL/TLS, I will switch over to it in a heartbeat.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks, I've retreated to Outlook and cowering in the familiar corner ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version