ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 - The gloves come off!

<< < (2/5) > >>

dr_andus:
As for Chromebooks, [..] what's not to like?
-dr_andus (July 30, 2016, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

everything stored/processed/modified online?
-- or am I wrong there that everything has to be stored and edited online?
-tomos (July 30, 2016, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is possible to work locally and store locally (especially if you install Linux alongside it) but that's not the idea.

Chromebooks are made to be used as quasi dumb terminals ("quasi" because they do actually work as standalone processing units), so you can have access to the exact same data and applications using multiple Chromebooks and any Chromebook, which also allows access to the data from other platforms as well. Everything syncs automatically.

Besides the aforementioned flexibility, if your unit gets damaged or stolen, you just get another one, log on, and have hassle-free access to the same data.

I know of the cons, but it's a "cup half full or empty" situation. For me, having worked with Chrome OS for years, the cup is half full. The convenience is just incredible, compared to dealing with Windows machines. And the importance of the "instant on" feature cannot be overstated. My 10 month old core i7 16GB Windows ultrabook takes 15 min to boot up properly. My Chromebook is on by the time I open the lid.

Deozaan:
The “free upgrade” to Windows 10 has ended.  It is now time for Microsoft to reel in their nets and start processing the catch.

Step 1: Substitute Cortana for local search and prevent users from disabling it.
Step 2: Prevent users from disabling ads and forced installs.
-xtabber (July 30, 2016, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

If this is truly the case, and similar things to come, with no way to work around it or without them backing off after pushback, I may finally go for Linux as my main OS.

Linux/cross-platform support has come a long way in the past few years. Almost all of my reasons for staying on Windows are now available/possible on Linux without much hassle.

tomos:
The “free upgrade” to Windows 10 has ended.  It is now time for Microsoft to reel in their nets and start processing the catch.
[..]
Step 2: Prevent users from disabling ads and forced installs.
-xtabber (July 30, 2016, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

there must be a lot of professional users of the pro edition -- I cant see link #2 there being accepted by them. Hopefully MS will change that.
But would still be a crappy experience for home users then...

wraith808:
How so?  I didn't even know about that difference until this came up.  I think it's a non-issue for most users of Windows 10.  Not that I'm taking up for them.  But it does seem like a tempest in a teapot.

tomos:
How so?  I didn't even know about that difference until this came up.  I think it's a non-issue for most users of Windows 10.  Not that I'm taking up for them.  But it does seem like a tempest in a teapot.
-wraith808 (July 31, 2016, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

my point was that that is not acceptable on a professional (used for work) machine.
As for home users of 10, it sounds like we're at the mercy of MS: seems to me it depends very much on how they use/abuse this, and where they take it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version