topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vortex Chat - Client Version  (Read 30378 times)

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vortex Chat - Client Version
« on: July 08, 2006, 09:42 AM »
My first official program ever! lol!:

Okey doke! So, with the contest coming up soon, (the day after my BDay to be exact), i figured i would post some screens about my program. It's called Vortex Chat... It uses a simple server/client socket for sending/receiving text data. It uses complex string manipulations to interperut commands from the server. It has a media player for those of you who like to chat while enjoying some music and a theme option for those of you who like to make the program look differently. It currently only has one skin at the moment... I am working on a Skin Pack tho... Been kind of busy with the core functions of the program. There is a "Who's Online?" list for those of you curious about ur friends online status... It has some dif settings that you can see in the pics below.

Practically speaking, It's purpose is to serve the community as a freeware chat program becuase when u search for freeware chat programs they generally end up having some kind of spy-ware, are hard to find, or even cost money in the end... I will be bundling the server with the client so that home offices or small businesses can set up their own private chat servers for inter-activities... It's simple to use and everyone compatible! You can sign on to the program with one click of a button! No registrations or anything like that... Let's say you have family members that you would like to chat with... Well, all you have to do, being the computer literate person, is configure one file, open the server up and click start... then, send it to a friend and they log right on! It's easy to use, i promise...

FUTURE PLANS:
Drag-N-Drop file sharing! thats def. coming soon! Already working on it...
More Themes/skins

At the moment, I have a sort of 'Test Lobby' server up. which is basically for those of you who want to log on now and check this thing out... You can download it here: http://www.nlgamers.com/uploads/vortex.zip!

Here are some screens:

The intro/login screen!

Once, the server has verified that your username isn't already logged on... You can join!

The Media Player panel is open!

Settings Tab 1

Settings Tab 2
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 12:05 PM by mouser »

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vortex Chat - Client Version
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Here is a pic of the server for Vortex.. The brain behind it all! lol!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 09:51 AM »
looks beautiful.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I just tried the latest verson:

1) Renox wasn't around to talk to  :mad:  but I've tried that part before so it's all good.  :P
2) The media player is very simple to use and works quite well.  It's a nice little feature.
3) The user login needs a little clean up the first time you use it.  You have to select <new user> from the drop down box to create a new account.  Then drop down again to select the new account.  Just a minor issue, but should be fixed for maximum ease of use.

Looking good Renox,  keep at it :)
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Yes, the newly created account should be highlighted by default (if the only account). Perhaps adding user password protection would also be added in the future.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Hm, why include a media player in a chat client? Doesn't make sense to me. Is it an instance of "the component was there, so I dropped it in"? :)

Very cute graphics though.
- carpe noctem

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 04:29 PM »
not at all... the component WAS there but thats not why i put it in... I put it in for those people who dont want a million windows open.. Yes, windows media player does a great job... But it's a nice function to have a media player built into it.... Alot of people like to chat and listen to music at the same time... so, i thought it would be a cool idea and it doesnt hurt to have it in there...

Plus, the media player is easy to use! Makes it all the more better!

marcsl

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Renox,
Great looking screens, I stay away from chat programs for the very
reasons you mentioned, spyware, viruses, or they mess with your web
browser in some way.  It would be great to have a chat program one could
trust, and looks so good!  ( I really like the mascots)
Marc

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I havent seen a chat program that messes with a web browser, installs spyware or viruses at all. What ones have you tried? I know gaim is perfectly safe, as is trillian, miranda, aim, msn, yahoo, icq and google talk. IRC (mIRC) is also a good chat protocol/series of networks.

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 11:25 PM »
I havent seen a chat program that messes with a web browser, installs spyware or viruses at all. What ones have you tried? I know gaim is perfectly safe, as is trillian, miranda, aim, msn, yahoo, icq and google talk. IRC (mIRC) is also a good chat protocol/series of networks.

Actually, AIM for one def. has spywhere included in the install. I am a computer technician during the summer and I know about this one because I, myself, have personally formatted an entire computer and then, reinstalled windows and put AIM on there... Wasn't long before I found things on the computer... Actually, about 5 min's. After installing and launching, I was able to view a few things that I didn't install. Hence, the fact that AIM and yahoo aren't really as safe as you think... Just because  everything looks fine doesn't necessarily mean that it is... I have found that out for sure! lol!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 03:51 AM »
Actually, AIM for one def. has spywhere included in the install. I am a computer technician during the summer and I know about this one because I, myself, have personally formatted an entire computer and then, reinstalled windows and put AIM on there... Wasn't long before I found things on the computer... Actually, about 5 min's. After installing and launching, I was able to view a few things that I didn't install. Hence, the fact that AIM and yahoo aren't really as safe as you think... Just because  everything looks fine doesn't necessarily mean that it is... I have found that out for sure! lol!

Was this a Windows XP or 2000 install without firewall/NAT enabled? If so, perhaps then that was the thing to blame, not AIM. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there was annoying stuff bundled with AIM.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:15 AM by f0dder »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 04:31 AM »
I've never seen a piece of spyware or virus bundled with AIM. I even tried installing the latest version just a few minutes ago, no spyware at all.

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Here are some things to look at:

http://blogged.the-protagonist.net/2005/11/17/aim-spyware/

I doubt this application would exist if there wasn't spyware...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Other-Chat-Tools/AIM-Spyware-Remover.shtml

This was caused because of AIM:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/?p=743

Here is some more....
http://www.topsight.net/article.php?story=20040419160504307

Actually, as mouser would say, "Search Google."
you can type in, "AIM spyware" and find your answer...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 12:05 PM »
pictures seem to be broken at the moment.