topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Super Annoying Freezing Mouse (and Keyboard) - can ANYONE help, PLEASE!?  (Read 10469 times)

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I am writing this here because I depserately hope that someone can help me with my EXTREMELY Super Annoying Mouse & Keyboard problem.

I was searching online for months for a solution but couldn't find anything, posted in some forums too, no-one was able to help so far.

I Only found one post that is indentical to my problem (in 99%) and since my English isn't the best, allow me to post here the Link to that
forum post: http://www.tomshardw...oying-freezing-mouse

Pleas read it & help me if you can; I have no mmoney for a new PC & working like this isn't fun at all :(

Only during I wrote theses few sentences my Mouse died 4-times, I am going crazy with this.

I've tried another mouse & keyboard (that I was using for years); tried different USB-Hub, then without Hub connecting them directly
to the front/rear USB ports on my PC, deleted ALL non present HW from the HW-Manager, updated all drivers - NOTHING helps

I have Win 7 Enterprise 32-bit

Thank you in advance!

What I forgot to mention: when the Mouse dies, sometimes the red led on the bottom of the mouse goes out, sometimes it doesn't.
Also the 'device disconnected' icon pops up (inkl. the typical Windows sound), sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes the mouse/keyboard comes
'back to life' immediatelly, but mostly I have to pull it from the USB-Slot and then put it back (sometiimes 2-3-4- times), then it comes back.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:21 PM by IQLover »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I ran into exactly that last week on a brand new fresh from the box Dell server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. Both the keyboard and mouse stopped responding at the console, but if I logged into it via Remote Desktop to worked fine.

I didn't have time to fiddle with the damn thing (server...), so I just replaced both (keyboard and mouse) and it has worked fine ever since.

Probably not what you want to hear...but might be worth considering. Maybe borrow a friends for testing purposes if no spare is available.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
so I just replaced both (keyboard and mouse) and it has worked fine ever since.

Thanks SJ, but I tried that already,as I stated. I tried 2 diff. Mice & one KB, same shit :(

This Problem started SUDDENLY around the 10.-15. of Octobe last year, after the monthly MS Updates....
so I taught it has something to do with the MS-Updates, so I made a system recovery to the state before the updates
but that didn't help neither...

This sucks BIG time :(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Thanks SJ, but I tried that already,as I stated. I tried 2 diff. Mice & one KB, same shit :(

This Problem started SUDDENLY around the 10.-15. of Octobe last year, after the monthly MS Updates....
so I taught it has something to do with the MS-Updates, so I made a system recovery to the state before the updates

Were the 2 different mice the same make?  Logitech perhaps?  One trick that works sometimes is to open Device Manager, right click on the device giving the problem, then click Delete.  Reboot.  Windows will say it has found new hardware and reinstall the same driver.  For some reason this seems to work about 50% of the time or better.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member

Were the 2 different mice the same make?  Logitech perhaps?  One trick that works sometimes is to open Device Manager, right click on the device giving the problem, then click Delete.  Reboot.  Windows will say it has found new hardware and reinstall the same driver.  For some reason this seems to work about 50% of the time or better.

Nope, they were diff. manufacturer, And yes(!) I did delete them from the dev. manager, as I already wrote in my original post.
Right now, it didn' happen for more than 2 hours, before that 2x in a minute. Believe me I tried everything & googled for months
but couldn't find a solution so far :(

JUST 2 SECONDS after I wrote the above, it happened again, F.*.C.K -  I am sooooooooo pissed

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check the EventLog for anything else happening at the associated time.

Also, do a backup and try GhostBuster to remove all redundant drivers from the system, if that doesn't make a difference, then I'd probably remove the motherboard drivers and see if it works OK on the default Windows versions.

Failing that, you may have a hardware problem with the USB sockets no longer providing enough contact pressure to ensure reliable connection.  No really easy fix for this but one thing I've done is slightly squeeze the plug in my fingers.
You can see in the image that this slightly bows the USB plug shield which increases the contact pressure a little.  YMMV, but I've done it to good effect over the years, just don't go overboard on the pressure.

IMG_1999.JPG

Another idea, I have a netbook with a USB port problem where anything plugged in will appear/disappear whenever the plug/cable is moved slightly, pulling out the USB plug slightly, (1 or 2 mm), fixes it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All I see in the first post relevant to my suggestion is
deleted ALL non present HW from the HW-Manager

which is not the same thing.  My suggestion is to delete the driver for the mouse that is currently connected and reboot.  Let plug and play reinstall it.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member

My suggestion is to delete the driver for the mouse that is currently connected and reboot.  Let plug and play reinstall it.

I did that for a minimum of 20 tiems! As I wrote I tried EVERYTHING (I am NOT a PC Noob);only my English isn't good enough.
I do repair people's PCs in my spare time, but this bloody problem I never came across & NOBODY seems to ahve a cure, so I
tried to post it here, hoping that someone might have a solution.

But thanks buddy anyways. And yesss, Miles IS the KING!!!!!!!  :Thmbsup:

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
Check the EventLog for anything else happening at the associated time.

There is never ever anything. Extra checked it yesterday 4times immediatelly after my mouse died,- NOthing.

Also, do a backup and try GhostBuster to remove all redundant drivers from the system, if that doesn't make a difference, then I'd probably remove the motherboard drivers and see if it works OK on the default Windows versions.

I did GB, yes, it found some redundant stuff so I deleted that. After reboot it was a bit better, meaning my mouse didn't die twice a minute, but it still died,
aprox. 3-5 times/ hour. I will deinstall the MB drivers & install the original ones from the original CD that came with the MB this weekend. If that helps I will report.

Failing that, you may have a hardware problem with the USB sockets no longer providing enough contact pressure to ensure reliable connection.  No really easy fix for this but one thing I've done is slightly squeeze the plug in my fingers.

Another idea, I have a netbook with a USB port problem where anything plugged in will appear/disappear whenever the plug/cable is moved slightly, pulling out the USB plug slightly, (1 or 2 mm), fixes it.

This has definitelly NOTHING to do with contact or movement, since it also happenes, when I am not even near my pc, as for instance it happened just today.
I was eating on my kitchen table and watching a YT-Video on my PC (Distance more than 3 meters) and during that it happened 2 times.

What I have noticed though: it happenes quite often, when I mark/copy something using the mouse...

This is the most f*cked up PC problem I ever came across.

But thank you very much for your effort to help me, I appreciate that!

Greets :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

My suggestion is to delete the driver for the mouse that is currently connected and reboot.  Let plug and play reinstall it.

I did that for a minimum of 20 tiems! As I wrote I tried EVERYTHING (I am NOT a PC Noob);only my English isn't good enough.
I do repair people's PCs in my spare time, but this bloody problem I never came across & NOBODY seems to ahve a cure, so I
tried to post it here, hoping that someone might have a solution.

But thanks buddy anyways. And yesss, Miles IS the KING!!!!!!!  :Thmbsup:

I hate it when that happens.  I don't know that much about computer hardware.  I studied a bit when learning assembler but that was back in the days of ISA bus and edge triggered interrupts.  I haven't kept up.  I hate intermittent problems.  Hope you track it down.  :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi!

I am currently having this problem with my main puter, Windows 7 Pro.  Currently I am trying the delete mouse driver, which was Logitech at the moment.  Wondering if you have to leave the USB section alone?  Have various mice and USB ports but one of the frustrating things is watching a proper install bubble come up but the mouse not working despite the recognition of an install of a driver. 

I had many years of activity before this hit.  In a pinch, I would restore an early image but that is not something I really want to do,

Ghostbuster has a gazillion ghosts, so maybe I will do a quick image and then give that a try. Never knew about it.  At the moment I am running good after one Logitech deletion from the Device Manager, but I have no idea if this will last.

Steven
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 05:52 PM by Steven Avery »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have had several cabled Logitech mouses which, after 5-6 years use, did exactly the same. In all of my cases it was the mouse itself that was causing the problem. One of them I could extend the life with a year or so, by changing the complete cable between mouse and PC. Still, the chips in the mouse need to do their work fast and continuously for giving the user a "smooth" movement on the computer screen.

It is my suspicion that Logitech doesn't use chips that are able to do both that long. Nowadays I just go and buy a new (Logitech) mouse after 5 years, no matter if it still works or not.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

While I did a couple of things, one thing is clear.  After I deleted the Logitech mouse in the Device Driver, it rebuilt and I had no additional problem.  So it is very possible there was corruption in that driver (i.e. it was running for President.)

Steven

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
...it is very possible there was corruption in that driver (i.e. it was running for President.) ...
-Steven Avery (July 22, 2016, 12:33 AM)
Very droll, but arguably not unnecessarily unkind towards politicos...

antekgla

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • SRTFilter
    • Donate to Member
If you say what this occurs after a Windows Update... Are you try to re-install Windows?
I know what is a radical solution but this kind of problems are so difficult of track what you gain some time only re-installing the whole OS.

If you dont want to loose your current Windows setting, you could try remove the HD, get another (old or borrowed...) and install Windows from zero.
First thing to do after that is DISABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES.
If after that the problem persist is a hardware problem, surely the mobo. If the problem is gone sadly you have to re-install the OS from zero in your main HD and disable automatic updates.
SRTFilter Automatic Subtitle Editor & Renamer
Dualcopy If you use Teracopy or Fastcopy this can be interesting   - My N.A.N.Y 2018 Entry

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...it is very possible there was corruption in that driver (i.e. it was running for President.) ...
-Steven Avery (July 22, 2016, 12:33 AM)
Very droll, but arguably not unnecessarily unkind towards politicos...

It trumps any pun I was considering I must say.  :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Instead of corrupt, I would say deluded. My too Pence on the matter...  ;)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Returning to mice, rather than political rodents, I do want to mention that if you have multiple mice around, try them all (with or without deleting drivers) maybe even before buying the new one.  I just made a change from one Dell to another and this one works nicely, the one before .. feh.

Here is the simple test.  Make sure you can can easily truncate a url, e.g. in the browser bar, without jerking and without difficulty.  Generally, if you can do that, your mouse is happy (although it could still be a jerky).  Often, when these problems arise, a mouse "works" but has a problem doing that, it wants to highlight the whole thing and is tuff to get to the exact spot.

Steven
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:50 PM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After that mouse was running fine, try to load Alfa eBooks Manager and an immediate freeze.  No data in the program, just trial.  Think it happened before.  Maybe can replicate.  Not now. Zzzz