ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Google Mail Web Clips - RSS support for the email client I like best

(1/2) > >>

brotherS:
Google Mail yet again added a nice feature, RSS feeds above your emails!

It's perfect for those you-don't-need-to-read-every-feed-item-feeds that you casually enjoy reading, I like this!

This is how it looks (I added the yellow highlighting) - by clicking the backwards/forward button you can easily browse through new feed items:

The settings are pretty self-explanatory also:

By using the search on that page you can easily add feeds that aren't in Google's standard lists (they added the most popular already for your convenience).

EDIT: How cool! When you switch from the Inbox to Spam, instead of RSS feed items Google will offer links to Spam recipes! I just saw Spam Breakfast Burritos, French Fry Spam Casserole and Vineyard Spam Salad!!

;D ;D ;D

jgpaiva:
I've been using this for a while, but for me it has a big issue: it doesn't display exclusivelly the rss content you asked for. Sometimes, it displays advertising instead :(

brotherS:
I've been using this for a while, but for me it has a big issue: it doesn't display exclusivelly the rss content you asked for. Sometimes, it displays advertising instead :(
-jgpaiva (July 08, 2006, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are right, I saw a few ads too. But I won't call that a big issue. Maybe a very minor annoyance. ;) You aren't forced to click to open the target page, might even have a good laugh (if it's not related but funny), and with one click you are reading the next RSS items.

All good :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva:
It's true that i'm not forced to click it, but i have sometimes felt "tricked" into cliking it, as it seemed to be mentioning an interesting article from bbc technology (which is the rss i've subscribed), and it ended up being a non-interesting and non-related page.
It's not that i'm against ads, since they support google, i just think that having ads coming up always on the same place of a page, is correct. Having them come up instead of something you expect not to be ads, isn't.

brotherS:
EDIT: How cool! When you switch from the Inbox to Spam, instead of RSS feed items Google will offer links to Spam recipes! I just saw Spam Breakfast Burritos, French Fry Spam Casserole and Vineyard Spam Salad!!

;D ;D ;D
-brotherS (July 08, 2006, 03:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version