topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor has OCR?  (Read 7242 times)

fungus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor has OCR?
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Hi I just found Screenshot Captor and it is great, does way more than I need.

Question: Can Screenshot Captor capture a section of text as an image, and then turn it into editable text? Like ABBYY Screenshot Reader does?

I use the Abbyy but it doesn't work well with Windows 10-64, generates many errors.

Thanks,

fungus

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor has OCR?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:55 AM »
hi fungus,
no, Screenshot Captor / SC does not do OCR.

In case you do find something with good OCR, you can open files in an external editor from SC (see Tools menu).
(There are a couple of good threads on OCR here, PDFXchange is recommended a couple of places here on dc.)
Tom

fungus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
fungus

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 08:14 PM »
@fungus:
I had previously asked @mouser to build in OCR to CHS, but I don't think it's likely to happen any time soon - if at all. It would be great if CHS detected and OCR'd any embedded text in images, and stored the text into the text tab of the relevant image clip.

As for ABBYY Screenshot Reader, I found that it it was really stable and fit-for-purpose and worked fine under Win7, 8, 8.1 and still works perfectly under Win10-64 PRO. The only trouble I have had with it is that the licence server service: C:\Program Files (x86)\ABBYY Screenshot Reader\NetworkLicenseServer.exe
- which it requires to run - does not always Auto-start like it should, and sometimes has to be manually started.

If it's not working well for you, then I would suggest that it may be that you merely need to uninstall and re-install ABBYY Screenshot Reader. (So, try it and see.)

I have two versions:
(a) one that was a FREE Christmas giveaway - ABBYY Bonus Screenshot Reader v9.0.0.1354 (2009-11-20).
(b) one that came with my EPSON V330 scanner - ABBYY Screenshot Reader v9.0.0.1331 (2009-11-27).

I am currently using the "newest" in (b), but as far as I was aware from testing, they would both work similarly (fine), though I haven't needed to install (a) on my current laptop.

There's been a fair amount of discussion about ABBYY Screenshot Reader on the DCForum, and it's all pretty positive and complimentary. I certainly haven't found anything to match it.
I don't need to use the ABBYY tool much now, as most of my clipping and capture of images that I want OCR'd is done into OneNote, using the OneNote Clipping tool. Though OneNote has excellent OCR features, it can't do table formatted clips the way ABBYY Screenshot Reader does - and which is pretty impressive - so I occasionally use the ABBYY tool for just that.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:14 PM »
http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/ is a pretty cool freeware tool.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:02 AM »
That is an awesome tool indeed! :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:54 AM »
Out of interest, I briefly trialled Capture2Text when it was v3.7, in 2015.
My notes are that it was quite good, though it was a bit kludgy with all those hotkeys, and the OCR was not always as accurate as I would have liked (by comparison with other similar tools).
Having said that, I would probably have considered using it on an ongoing basis from that point onwards, if I could get it working nicely and if I hadn't already got the ABBY tool (which is remarkably good - very accurate).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:07 AM by IainB »

ceebu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 05:02 AM »

And the CLI version makes is extremely easy to plugin to screenshot captor - I have it setup using the "Post capture options" & "external tools" options in SC- and I can pretty much create a "one click" workflow to extract text from screenshots !! (new ones and old..)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 08:40 AM »

And the CLI version makes is extremely easy to plugin to screenshot captor - I have it setup using the "Post capture options" & "external tools" options in SC- and I can pretty much create a "one click" workflow to extract text from screenshots !! (new ones and old..)

Hi Ceebu, I saw your reply here and I'm wondering if you'd share your setup for sending screenshots from SSC to C2T...  I'm running both apps... I might as well have them setup like yours. 

EDIT:  It took a few tries but I think I got it working.  Setting it up as in the screenshot OCRs the text from the screenshot and sends it to the windows clipboard.

SSC and C2T.PNGScreenshot Captor has OCR?

Not sure if I'm even using the sctools feature as Mouse had intended...  But my tools all seem to work as expected.

Hmm... Attached image doesn't seem to be working, so here
https://i.imgur.com/HGT74rJ.png

EDIT AGAIN..  The screenshot doesn't show it, but this is the normal exe file
Code: Text [Select]
  1. C:\PortableApps\Capture2Text642\Capture2Text.exe
not the Capture2Text_CLI.exe one. 
Here's the param box:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. --image "%file%" --clipboard

Also note, I'm using the portable version of Cap2Text as well as the portable version of ScreenshotCapture.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:09 PM by kunkel321 »