ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: "Open" icon - drag and drop icon2 onto it and icon2's Open action happens

(1/3) > >>

DanD:
(Windows)  My attempts to double-click on an icon don't always work -- my hand may move too much, or the clicks are too far apart, or I actually only clicked once after all.  But I never have problems dragging an icon and dropping it.  It would be nice to have an "Open" or "Run" icon on my desktop so that I can open documents or run applications just by dragging their icons and dropping them on the "Open" or "Run" icon.

On my laptop at work I am usually logged in nonprivileged but do have an administrator privileged account on it.  Some applications like Google Desktop and most installations need the privileges to run.  So the same as the above but with "Run as..." would be useful, too.  :)

Currently I often mouse button three and make sure I haven't move off the Open and/or move down to the Run as..., but dragon drops  8) are quicker and easier.

Thanks,
Dan

AndyM:
A shortcut to an application will almost always open a compatible file dropped on it.

I have a shortcut on my desktop whose target is "C:\pgms\lister.exe", which I drop text files on to read.  My default "open" for a text file is a text editor, Lister is just a reader.

Sometimes you have to add a %1 to the target.

Oh, wait a second.  Sounds like you want *one* "Run" icon that will open any file with it's default executable (.doc with Word, .xls with Excel, etc.).  So you'd need a program that would find the files default in the registry and then take it from there.  I bet it could be done, but it's beyond me.

brett:
DanD

Not sure if this is what you need, but your feedback is welcome.

DragnDrop

Start D&D, and drag any file/shortcut onto GUI

(you can start D&D by dragging anything onto desktop D&D icon)

f11 to reshow (maximize)
f12 to minimize
esc, will quit

dB

DanD:
Woo hoo!  Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you need, but your feedback is welcome.
-dB (July 08, 2006, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very close!   :)  I was thinking of an icon instead of an application, but if I could resize the window down small and have it not go away after each use, that would be great!

Dan

p.s.  I Google'd for...  Windows AHK scripting  ...and it asked ...

Did you mean: Windows AWK scripting  :)

...but it still got the first hit right...

AutoHotkey Tutorial: Macro and Hotkey Creation
    http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm

brett:
DragnDrop run

Hmmm, I will read some more if it is possible to start on icon drop. But for now, here is a
- smaller GUI
- stays on top till f12 or ESC

Autohotkey. http://www.autohotkey.com/
Great for quick results.  :D
Although this still took me 2hrs because fairly new ti this   :(
But I having a great time learning   ;D
the forum is the place to learn

Thanks
dB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page