ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does this exist and if not can someone write it up?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ath:
What is needed is a way to activate a small on-screen text-box that would display characters as they are typed by capturing the keystrokes from the keyboard.  It would have no record keeping ability, just a line-typed display that would appear on the screen preferably near the password box but anywhere visible would do.
-questorfla (June 29, 2016, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

This feature already was built into the CP/M based Zilog Z80 CPU home-built computer I owned (not built though) about 30 years ago (I still have it, not sure if the floppies still are readable to make it boot). And I found it to be a very useful feature!
It was showing in a status-line (line 25) of the 80x24 lines graphical character display, on the top-right of the screen, just like the system status stuff of many Linux GUI's :tellme:
In the pre-internet days I kinda started something like it, but I never stayed interested inspired long enough to finish it, but I'd be interested to have smt like that now :Thmbsup:

4wd:
This wasn't written by me!

This is basically a modified keylogger, it doesn't do any logging it just displays any keys typed in a Tooltip as they are typed.  As soon as you hit Escape the program terminates, (the Escape isn't passed through AFAICT), or you can use the Exit menu item on the tray icon.

The source in AutoIt is available from here (easily found otherwise with a Google search): Pastebin

I've just turned off logging, stopped it displaying [SHIFT] as a key, and stopped it displaying which window is active.

Source for the main program:

--- Code: AutoIt ---#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=D:\My Documents\AutoIt\_Coding Snacks\KeyTip\KeyTip.exe#AutoIt3Wrapper_Compression=4#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=2.0.0.0#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 6#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #include <Misc.au3>#include "_KeyloggerUDF.au3" Opt("TrayMenuMode", 3)Opt("TrayOnEventMode", 1) TraySetToolTip("KeyTip")TrayCreateItem('Exit',-1,-1,0)TrayItemSetOnEvent(-1,'_Exit') HotKeySet("{esc}", "_Exit")HotKeySet("{tab}", "_Exit")HotKeySet("{enter}", "_Exit")OnAutoItExitRegister("_Exit") _SetHooks(True, False) While Sleep(100)  ToolTip($__KL_CapturedKeys)  If _IsPressed("02") Then _Exit()WEnd Func _Exit()  _SetHooks()  OnAutoItExitUnRegister("_Exit")  ExitEndFunc
Lines modified in the UDF:

Line 236: Commented out

--- Code: Text ---;~     $__KL_CapturedKeys &= @CRLF & @CRLF & "[" & WinGetTitle($hWnd) & "]" & @CRLF
Lines 282, 285, 296, 429 & 430: Changed a True to False (ie. the first Boolean value in the lines below was originally True)

--- Code: Text ---["[ENTER]",                     False   ,       False], _               ;       13                      0000000D["[SHIFT]",                     False   ,       False], _               ;       16                      00000010["[ESC]",                       False   ,       False], _               ;       27                      0000001B["[L-SHIFT]",                   False   ,       False], _               ;       160                     000000A0["[R-SHIFT]",                   False   ,       False], _               ;       161                     000000A1
The Tooltip will appear near the mouse, eg.
Does this exist and if not can someone write it up?

It will display things like [DELETE], [BACKSPACE], [PAUSE], etc, and it will eat things like [PRT SCN] - I had to take the screenshot with a camera - so it's pretty useless running all the time, (also because that Tooltip will just keep getting bigger).

So in it's current form it's just about the dumbest keylogger around - it doesn't log, it doesn't hide, it eats keys, and it will start obliterating the screen behind a huge Tooltip.

Source is in the archive, except the UDF which you can get from Pastebin and do the above modifications yourself.

And neither MS Defender nor MBAM complain about it.

UPDATE:

* Removed Send('{scrolllock}') - wasn't required
UPDATE 2:

* Exits on Escape, Enter, Tab, Right Mouse Button, and tray icon menu item (which will also cause a RMB exit).

4wd:
Woops, I left a send Scroll Lock in there when I was playing around trying to use it as the hotkey.  I'll fix it tomorrow but it doesn't seem to cause any problem, (it didn't want to work for me so I went back to Escape).

mouser:
Skrommel also made an app a long time ago that is similar to this, called ShowOff:

Described here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=792.0

Note that the download link is wrong, it's now on this page: https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#ShowOff

questorfla:

I have been locked out in two/three situation, although I can swear that I was correct still I was left swearing against the site.

I found one solution and created another one.

.... I use JC&MB Quicknote http://www.quicknote.de/quicknoteen.php and enable "Focusless input".

-anandcoral (June 30, 2016, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

ANAND.  I think you hit a HomeRUn on this one!
"Focusless Input"  Who made up that term>?  If I had used that to search google I woner if I could have found more like it ?
Kind of like "Pointless Questioning"  ?? :-\  BUT   :Thmbsup:  The thing works!  And hat Lady from the other day is the first one I am going to put this one on.

It took me a while to figure out all the "one letter" shortcuts but WOW!  It actually does work!  I mean it does exactly what I asked for. ( and lots more I wonder if I can remove the parts that take out the dog and the one that does the laundry?   Reminds me when people wrote those tiny "All-in-Wonder" programs  Like I Wonder who wrote this description about "focusless input"  I thought you were kidding.>?  BUT
After some experimenting (I never read manuals   8)  )

I got the small box it opens shrunk down to one line and now..   :D           everythign I type be it NAME or PASSWORD  or >>?? Whatever. it STAYS on the page no matter where I go.  !!
It's Like a piece of  carbon paper stuck to my shoe>  Perfect!       I hate the pool-table green color but I bet that can be changed.  This is as close as I can imagine anything being to exactly what I described.

My point and purpose was to get something that works exactly like "Asteriskey" before it got such a bad rep and before "THEY" fixed things to where it wont work any more.  :(
But this does and she wont ned to copy anything she just needs confirmation of what she is typing.  So part two is not even needed.  Before I put this on someone I need to play with it a little but even now, as I am typing this post, I see it echoing me over on the side.  Letter for letter  Pretty COOL!  It is a little annoying that if I back up and erase it doesn't :(  so  my typos are "memorialized" forver.
But she only need 8 characters and if one of them IS a Typo      that would be WHY her password isn't working :)
GENIUS!

FREAKY SIDE NOTE!!>> that odd green color.  I knew I had seen it before.  The Exact Program that is that User's Problem,  the lady who started all this.   Her program she was locked out of  ( an Antique Database program at that!)  ALSO uses that EXACT shade of green for their login page !!  Weird!
I just saw this and I swear they are a Color Twin!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version