topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help! WINDOWS 10 ----> WINDOWS 7  (Read 3720 times)

dMbTiger

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Help! WINDOWS 10 ----> WINDOWS 7
« on: June 24, 2016, 02:14 AM »
I have an Asus U47A laptop which I upgraded to Windows 10 without errors. After the upgrade I had no Ethernet/WiFi connection and messages suggested possible driver problems. I downloaded drivers from Asus website indicated for Windows 10 and subsequently generics  from Microsoft and Intel. Nothing worked. I tried to set up an external USB router link: same error message. I went through all the discussions I could find on the web for similar problems, finding no fixes. Called Asus tech support. The said the U47A was incompatible with Windows 10 and it wasn't their problem. Tried to download a Windows 10 is one but apparently Microsoft uses the code from the machine you are going to apply the iso to and you can't use one download on a different machine. They're assuming the machine with the bad install has an  Internet connection. Searched the Microsoft database but could find no similar cases.   Catch-22!
Dan

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help! WINDOWS 10 ----> WINDOWS 7
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:10 AM »
what a terrible experience, you've had!  :o

Onlything I can think of is, the period of grace => When I upgraded from 7 to 10, I was given a couple of weeks to maybe regret and roll back to 7.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:44 AM »
You have 30 days to downgrade, I suspect that the best solution, even if you want to try again.

Tried to download a Windows 10 [iso] but apparently Microsoft uses the code from the machine you are going to apply the iso to and you can't use one download on a different machine.

damn, I didnt know that :(
Tom

dMbTiger

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:29 AM »
You missed the entire point. I can't do the rollback because the iso has to be downloaded on the same machine that you are going to roll back and that machine can't connect to the Internet!!!
Dan

michaelkenward

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • Broken monitor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:48 AM »
You missed the entire point. I can't do the rollback because the ISO has to be downloaded on the same machine that you are going to roll back and that machine can't connect to the Internet!!!

It must be possible because I recently managed to install Windows 10 on a new build PC that had never seen Windows and that had no "fingerprint" that Microsoft could have detected. I have also used the same ISO to install Windows 10 on several machines. (I had one of those multi-pack Windows 7 deals a few years ago.)

Unfortunately, I didn't keep notes on what I did. I'm just recommending that you persevere in your pursuit of an ISO that works.

I have just found these in my filing system:

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

How to Download Windows 10, 7, 8, and 8.1 Install Media — Legally

I have a vague memory of having to feed the serial number for an earlier version of Windows to get my ISO.
MK

dMbTiger

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:50 AM »
They may have moded 10 and these isos specially for this purpose. Who knows. Thanks anyway.
Dan

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 06:14 AM »
Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go Back to Windows 7

That option should be available for 30 days after upgrade

If that option doesn't exists the only option is a factory restore of your system - or try installing windows 8.1 drivers for your hardware

If you system has a manufacturer's recovery system it shouldn't have been affected by the Windows 10 upgrade unless you re-partitioned.

If all else fails order a set of recovery disks from the manufacturer

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:04 AM »
Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Go Back to Windows 7

That option should be available for 30 days after upgrade
-Carol Haynes (June 24, 2016, 06:14 AM)

Agreed, I've never seen an unwind that required a disk. And I've installed 10 on a bunch of different machines from a single downloaded image. There's even a utility available to expand and convert the MS auto delivered esd package to an .iso.

Just out of curiosity, couldn't you scare up an external USB NIC to get the thing online just long enough to get what you need? Hell even if you return it to the store when you get done for some contrived reason it's a Quick-N-Dirty way out of your current Catch-22... :D