topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: robust microusb cable  (Read 4493 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
robust microusb cable
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:24 AM »
hello!

is there any microUSB cable that the plug will not bend? I bought numerous cables and they all bent at the point of the plug with the lightest of force! (normally if the phone falls and it is plugged).

it would be highly appreciated

thanks!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: robust microusb cable
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 10:23 AM »
I find these Anker cables more robust than most that I have. Given enough rough handling, though, practically any 'tip' is going to suffer.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:32 AM »
they all bent at the point of the plug with the lightest of force! (normally if the phone falls and it is plugged).

I'm not sure I'd classify a phone, whilst plugged in, falling and hitting the ground, the "lightest of force."  I'd daresay that most any cable is going to fail under that test.  That said, those Anker ones are built tougher, and come with an 18-month warranty, so you should be able to get them replaced should they fail.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 12:30 PM »
You might look at custom cables also.  Cables that have heatshrinked connectors and techflex sleeving are very robust. (Just getting into mechanical keyboards, I've seen a lot about custom robust cabling).  They're expensive though, and I've never seen any of the custom stuff on outlets like amazon.

https://www.reddit.c...b_cables_and_custom/

Example paracord with heatshrinked connectors.

3FMF8zr.jpgrobust microusb cable
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:32 PM by Deozaan, Reason: attached image as thumbnail so it wasn\'t as huge »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 01:31 PM »
The problem with USB cables, in my experience, has very little to do with the cable itself, and everything to do with the connector. If the micro USB connector gets bent out of shape even slightly, you can pretty much kiss the cable goodbye.

So all this bullet proof kevlar stuff probably isn't going to help with the problem of the Micro USB cable connector just being terribly designed and too fragile.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:21 PM by Deozaan, Reason: Typed the wrong thing. »

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 03:17 PM »
The problem with USB cables, in my experience, has very little to do with the cable itself, and everything to do with the connector. If the micro USB connector gets bent out of shape even slightly, you can pretty much kiss the cable goodbye.

So all this bullet proof kevlar stuff probably isn't going to help with the problem of the Micro USB cable just being terribly designed and too fragile.

I don't understand what you're saying

What is bullet proof kevlar? And what won't going to help?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 03:23 PM »

Just ignore me. My response was the least helpful. The other folks who responded have offered suggestions which may help you out. Research their suggestions.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 03:28 PM »

Just ignore me. My response was the least helpful. The other folks who responded have offered suggestions which may help you out. Research their suggestions.

Indeed my problem is with the connector. I wonder if you said that the above suggestions won't work in that case.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 05:20 PM »
@kalos:
The impression I got from Deozaan's comment is that he talks about the connector where you plug your USB cable into, becomes bent out of shape. In that case, no cable will help you. From your comment I understand that you talk about the connector that is attached to your cable.

Usually, the connectors that are attached to both ends of your USB cable are the male variant from that type of connector. Every type of connector has a male and female variant. I hope I don't have to explain which is which.

No matter how well both the female and male variants of a connector are designed, user carelessness/stupidities will break any design. I still actively use the USB cable that came with my Nokia phone 8 years ago on all of the USB ports from my computer I got 8 years ago with my current phones and tablets (for data transfer and charging). The USB cables that came with these devices are also actively used. Either I am doing something right or you are doing something really wrong with your cables. 

If you regularly drop your phone while it has an USB cable attached to it, both the female and male variants of the connector endure a lot of physical stress. People falsely assume that only the male variant endures the stress. Do this often enough, and you have bent the female variant also out of shape. I hope I don't have to explain that there is (much) more cost involved repairing the female, while replacement of the female will cost even more (and gives you headache as a bonus too).

While strengthening the connectors of a USB cable with heatshrinked tubing is a good thing, do realize that this only moves the point of failure in a cable. And that extra protection is moot when you bend the cable too close to either connector of the cable anyway. As a general rule, never ever bend cable (of any type) and if you roll any type of cable up, use generous curves to do this. 

The suggested brands of cables provided earlier in this thread look fine to me and would last me a lifetime...if I had a need for them.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Yes I am talking about the male connector of the cable, not the female connector of the phone. The latter is quite robust (Samsung Galaxy Note 2).

I don't do anything wrong, just the phone may drop from the low bedside table

Which cable brands? You mean Anker? I bought two cables of them, let's see