ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

[Feature Request] FARR use across computers

<< < (5/5)

skajfes:
FWIW I basically only share aliases across computers. I did that via dropbox and symlinks. FARR is installed in default location (program files) and i've symlinked the shared aliases file from %mydocuments%/DonationCoder/FindAndRunRobot/Aliases to a dropbox folder. Works really well as I have a bunch of shared universal aliases which I update from time to time and don't change the rest of the settings at all.
And the rest of the settings (like search folders, user variables, search history etc) are really computer specific so I don't share them.

nitrix-ud:
That's a nice idea.  :Thmbsup:
Although, i'm a bit afraid of side effects
You do it on every aliases files you want to share or on the full folder ?
And most importantly, how do you create the symlinks ? (which one is the target, which one is the link, which tool do you use ?)

As a team, we share all search folders too, so basically when i improve our FARR workflow, i have to change an alias then add it on every computer and sometimes, i have to add a new search folders on every computer... we also share quick search words, hotkeys (that one almost never changes)

skajfes:
I did it on specific alias files. The files actually live in dropbox, and the symlink is in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom.
I didn't want to share the entire folder, because I have some computer specific aliases that I use.

I've created the symlink using mklink tool in cmd, basically:

--- ---mklink C:\Users\<user>\Documents\DonationCoder\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\MyCustom\myshared.alias D:\Dropbox\Apps\FARR\Shared aliases\myshared.alias
I don't share search folders because I didn't see a way to get them out of the FindAndRunRobot.ini file, which I didn't want to share across computers.
But I do have some aliases that rely on sharing search folders. I've gotten arround that by using search folder modifiers and user variables.

For example, I have a shared alias that searches my dropbox folder, which is basically just
--- ---dosearch +dropbox, and on every computer I added a search folder with path to dropbox folder for that pc with a modifer of dropbox.

Similar thing with aliases that rely on some app. For example I have an alias that opens the hosts file in a elevated text editor, and for the actual editor i use a user variable. So this is the alias:

--- ---%uservar.Common.EditorSingle% "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts" /runasadminand the EditorSingle user variable is set point to text editor executable on each pc. (On one pc it's Notepad++, on another is Vim, on the third one is portable Notepad, etc)

This works for me, but I don't change the search folders and user variables that often, and on a new pc i just copy the settings from an existing one and modify once.

In that light I would maybe propose that the settings file be split up into multiple files, and the criteria is what is generic and what is computer specific. So basically just extract SearchFolders and User variables to separate files.

nitrix-ud:
Many thanks skajfes !

I will try as soon as i get some time...  :D

I don't share search folders because I didn't see a way to get them out of the FindAndRunRobot.ini file, which I didn't want to share across computers.
--- End quote ---
That's why i'm asking for this feature... having an extra ini file pour additionnal search folders...

I too use search folder modifiers and user variables  :Thmbsup:

I even use dynamic search folders
[Feature Request] FARR use across computers
When switching project, the user variables change, so that the search folders change too
i can have aliases that will only search inside a particular project in many different places.

But sometimes I need to add a new search folder so that we can add a new functionality to our workflow, and in that case, I have to modify all the settings on all the computer accordingly.

skajfes:
I even use dynamic search folders
-nitrix-ud (April 26, 2017, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nice  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version