ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Suggestion: A new GUI for ExifTools

<< < (3/4) > >>

dcwul62:
Well, all that said, I think my initial suggestion still stands.
Most products are fairly outdated, when considering their major release.
I think a good tool will attract users here.
(as for Geosetter, I think ExitToolGUI and/or pyExifToolGui can probably do
about the same thing)
=

tomos:
(as for Geosetter, I think ExitToolGUI and/or pyExifToolGui can probably do
about the same thing)
-dcwul62 (June 11, 2016, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the point is that there is no sense in reinventing the wheel if there's aleady a working wheel.
=> i.e. have you tried geosetter? and if so, what's the problem with it?

Or (continuing the wheel metaphor) if the wheel is only a little broken, the first port of call would normally be the developer, as opposed to starting from scratch. (I know you've contacted the developere of the py version)

dcwul62:
Tried it.
a. AFAIK not portable
b. I think it is quite slow, reading a folder it freezes for minute or two
and changing from one file to another also takes a little while.
that aside, it looks nice.
(read about an issue with .xmp files though)
anyway, I will continue to use ExifToolGUI.

=

4wd:
a. AFAIK not portable-dcwul62 (June 12, 2016, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

It also can run without being installed, just download the zip file, extract, and run.

Current available beta is 3.4.51 (2014 - can't find a link atm but I have the installer and it can be extracted from it), there's also 3.4.62 but it hasn't been released yet.
-4wd (June 10, 2016, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

That'll be this file:

On first run it will use %APPDATA%\geosetter for settings, move the contents to the folder you extracted Geosetter to and it will use that for the next run.

b. I think it is quite slow, reading a folder it freezes for minute or two
and changing from one file to another also takes a little while.
--- End quote ---

A little test on a folder with 11483 images (a lot with GPS data) plus a few videos (some with XMP sidecar files), it may be a bit extreme but it served to highlight any perceived delays:

BTW, the columns and order of them are configurable, no need to display things you don't want so there may be no need for the full metadata display panel, plus you can sort on them.  It also has a flat file view so there's no need to enter sub-folders, (in the case you want to view multiple sub-folders), you can just go into flat file view on the parent (like DOpus).
Geosetter will continue reading metadata in the background until all images/XMP have been read, during background reading the image preview on hover may experience a short 1 second delay occasionally - still better than the 3-4 seconds of delay you get when clicking on a file to find the right image.

The second time ExifToolGUI ran it failed to find any fixed drive at all:

(read about an issue with .xmp files though)
--- End quote ---

A quick Google search shows only one apparent issue with Geosetter, ExifTool, and XMP files within the last year and that's for video files.

dcwul62:
Sorry, I went for the beta version and ignored the .zip version.
That I have to confess.

As for speed, well, I took 1 folder with 115 images with a mix of raw and jpg
It took about 13 minutes to complete 'reading' the folder.

=

=

With ExifToolGUI there was no wait at all, all is instantly.
I admit, the images are 1-by-1, so there is no thumbnail preview of an entire folder I believe.

As for the details in columns, I didn't check it out, but think within ExifToolGUI there is also such a feature.
One drawback though, one has to know the name of exif-fields...

=

=

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version