ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Re: Autobackup with OneDrive

<< < (2/7) > >>

Tuxman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link

Deozaan:
I just use hard links for "cloud backups". One version of each file is enough for me.
-Tuxman (June 04, 2016, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

what do you mean by hard links?
-kalos (June 04, 2016, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's "like a shortcut" to the original file. Not a backup at all.

Tuxman:
Precisely. I found out that I can save a lot of time when I just keep most of my files "in the cloud" and only store hard links in ~.

Shades:
With a tool called: CyberDuck you should be able to create a script that copy the files you want to one or more cloud providers at intervals you can set up with Windows' scheduled tasks functionality. The command-line version of CyberDuck has a descriptive online manual, so that shouldn't be a problem. There is also a version with a GUI. Both versions are available as separate download, each are distributed under the GPL license and there are builds for Windows, Linux and OSx.

By using hard links you'll open a can of worms for yourself if you don't understand the implications of the Hard links concept. Its deceptively simple, so most won't bother, but you really should read up on it before you start implementing it. Because if when you lose hard linked files, you don't (fully) understand the gravity of the concept.

Now, if you share your computer with family members that aren't into computers (and file management!) the way you do...hard links are a nono, unless you really like restoring backups. Backup strategies (on-line and/or off-line) can be messed up significantly too when you apply hard links wrong. You literally deserve all the ridicule you'll get after restoring only the hard link (and forgot to backup the file itself).

kalos:
I really can't believe there is no way to sync my files automatically

last time Bitcasa did it, but that company is a huge failure

isn't there any more trusted solution???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version