ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

svchost /k netsvcs [Problem on Win.7]

<< < (4/6) > >>

tomos:
Thanks Mike for that info.
Thanks April for clarifying.

I disabled win update after rebooting friends machine (the problem one). Then manually got it to search for updates:
straight away the 50%CPU usage plus crazy page file use + no updates found.

So I'm going to turn off win update completely. I see them often enough to check windows update manually.

Re changing IP address possibly helping access updates:
I've been testing it in my place, will report back if it works in their place when I give it back.

[Thankfully my own machine seems to be fine]

tomos:
Two machines still wont update, even when I check manually.
As before, full core gets used by svchost.exe -- if I (can) stop windows update service, things settle back to normal.

(On my desktop, windows update takes 5 minutes of hogging one core before it will tell me what's available -- but at least it works.)

Is there any other way to check for (windows) updates?
I did find this method, but think it's a bit over my head:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa387290%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Shades:
Mainly the method you found is intended for companies that roll out MS updates in their local network to prevent all machines in their network accessing Windows update, each downloading the same set of updates, congesting their internet connection.

The most labor-intensive method would be to check the list of MS updates (kb articles) that are made available by MS for each patch day and manually search/download these on/from the MS website.

hornet:
I have had the same problem on my laptop over the last few months.

I have also resorted to turning off windows updates - and the CPU activity became normal again.

I note that when I run a Wise Cleaner scan - it turns windows update back on - and I need to reverse that.

H.

tomos:
I have had the same problem on my laptop over the last few months.

I have also resorted to turning off windows updates - and the CPU activity became normal again.
-hornet (July 13, 2016, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

so, are you not updating windows at all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version