ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

svchost /k netsvcs [Problem on Win.7]

<< < (2/6) > >>

tomos:
Is there the possibility of restoring via a backup image to a state when the problem was in abeyance?
-MilesAhead (May 29, 2016, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not willing to avoid windows updates (on either machine), so not sure if that would help.

To summarise status of problem:
1) Machine #1 (friend's) has major problem with svchost constantly hogging one full core (dual-core CPU) and windows update not working.
2) Machine #2 (mine) has occasional problem  with svchost hogging one full core -- temporarily solved by rebooting, [may yet be solved by windows update]

I rebooted my laptop and it very well behaved. Will see if it comes back again. Problem described in quote in OP as it not letting memory/CPU go once it starts using it. Which makes sense to me. There's also updates available for this machine -- they're downloading as I write . . .

MilesAhead:
Do you know what it is running when svchost hogs the core?  Svchost is basically a loader to load and run a service.  When some service hogs the machine, like Windows Media Player scouring all your files looking for media files to share, it can show up as svchost.exe or as explorer opening and closing every file on the system.

Next time it hogs resources see which service is associated in task manager.

Also you can try backing up the registry(via restore point or dedicated registry backup tool,) then setting all your services at once to the Black Viper recommended settings.  You may get lucky.  That may smooth things out.

Curt:
http://www.likenewpc.net is merely $20 - if it did the job, otherwise it's free - and is extremely easy to use: Click go, and come back tonight / tomorrow! But this one I have not tried.

After the repair, "Blackbird - Windows privacy, security and performance" may help preventing new problems; my Win 10 is running noticeable better, after implementing the changes from Blackbird 0.9.92. Just remember to first shut down security for a minute.

tomos:
Do you know what it is running when svchost hogs the core?  Svchost is basically a loader to load and run a service.  When some service hogs the machine, like Windows Media Player scouring all your files looking for media files to share, it can show up as svchost.exe or as explorer opening and closing every file on the system.

Next time it hogs resources see which service is associated in task manager.
-MilesAhead (May 29, 2016, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

it's not clear/shown which service is acting up (or do you know a way?)
Here some images (first and last probably of most help)

svchost /k netsvcs [Problem on Win.7]svchost /k netsvcs [Problem on Win.7]
=>
this last  one shows thread that's hogging the CPU but doesnt seem very informative (?)

app103:
I had a similar problem recently, and it turned out to be Windows Update that was hogging the CPU (discovered by turning off the service)

So, I just kept turning it off when CPU ran high.

And yes, Windows Update was hanging on downloading updates in my case, too. It couldn't seem to download anything, as if something was blocking it? (I rebooted machine and tried to run it manually, several times over the course of a month, with no luck)

Not sure what fixed it, but Windows Update could suddenly download and install all the updates and the excessive CPU usage stopped.

Only thing that I changed was my ISP. Not sure if it was a coincidence, but my issues seemed to solve themselves about 3 days after the ISP change.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version