topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Directory Opus 11 Released!  (Read 90331 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 11 Released!
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Lazarus doesn't change functionality. However, I made the experience that freeware file managers - except FAR, of course - are notably worse than their commercial pendants, usability-wise.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Lazarus doesn't change functionality. However, I made the experience that freeware file managers - except FAR, of course - are notably worse than their commercial pendants, usability-wise.

The freeCommander author made it a bit different when he released the XE version.  Also it came out with many functions unimplemented and filled in piecemeal.  One of the last was the multi-renamer which was one of my favorite freeCommander functions.  I still haven't seen the 64 bit release.

The trouble with a file manager is a tendency to use that as the cockpit.  If you decide you made a bad choice you likely invested lots of time that has to be jettisoned unless the replacement has a similar command set and layout.

But I don't do a zillion file operations a day.  So it is not really the basis of how I use the PC.  A guy I worked with did everything out of X-Tree Gold.  He pretty much talked me into buying it.  It worked well so I didn't feel ripped off.  But I got nowhere near the use from it that he did.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2016, 01:48 PM »
That's not Lazarus's fault, though. Delphi doesn't really make a difference.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2016, 01:51 PM »

The difference would have been a 64 bit version that looked exactly the same as the 32 bit.  What provoked the change to Lazarus was anticipation of the need to compile x64 without spending a lot of $$$

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2016, 01:53 PM »
So the only difference is the money. I doubt that will make the application worse.
The fC has always been a quite overly colored application.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2016, 02:19 PM »

What does that even mean?  Are you saying that Delphi doesn't do 64-bit?  Or did you mean something else?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2016, 02:28 PM »
I meant that the bad quality of the Lazarus fC is not caused by Lazarus.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2016, 05:13 PM »
I meant that the bad quality of the Lazarus fC is not caused by Lazarus.

I understand.  That is when it happened because to move to 64 bit the developer had(due to monetary concerns) to change to Lazarus.  Since he had to write a new application he made it a bit differently.  Only to be expected.  But I had used freeCommander for so many years I like it the way it was.  I was hoping for a 64 bit implementation with no learning curve.

Afaik the x64 version is still only in beta and given out as a "thank you" to donors.  Who knows if it will ever be ready for prime time.  :)

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36 AM »
Well, I don't know what they did exactly in this regard, but the latest Directory Opus 12.6 update (7th June, 2017) appears to have fixed my long-standing problem, whereby launching the app in the first instance could take up to a minute sometime (freezing).

There is nothing in the release history to suggest what could have been the fix. But I'm not complaining...

• Fix for crash which could occur when refreshing the folder display, opening new tabs, or renaming files in some cases.
  • Fixed crash which could sometimes occur with certain command sequences in a button. (e.g. CreateFolder, then open the folder in the dual display.)
  • The Filter Bar now automatically disables partial matching when a file type group is being matched. For example, grp:Archives will no longer match example.rar.jpg, even if partial matching is enabled.
  • Fixed minor problem displaying some licence counts in the licence manager.