ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Zip Drives revisited

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
I remember them well.. That was a product that really filled a need and felt very solid.
-mouser (May 27, 2016, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't get into Zip drives, but I used Jaz drives quite extensively.  The use of the SCSI interface with removable media really shook things up in the illustration and 3d modeling realm.

skwire:
Back in the day, I thought I was pretty badass to have the only USB Zip drive amongst my peers (as opposed to the parallel port version).  In fact, I still have it, and a Jaz drive.  In the dialup days, I used to download stuff (game mods, maps, etc.) over the fast connection at work and take the files home on Zip disks.

ConstanceJill:
I have an IDE 100 MB Zip drive stored with other old stuff… back then I didn't think the IDE ports would disappear.

jadinolf:
I had 5 Zip Drives - 2 parallel port and 3 USB ones (100 Meg)

Loved them but when they became obsolete I just had to scrap them.

Couldn't even give them away.

Oh well, it was fun while they lasted.

MilesAhead:
My First Pentium machine(a 500Mhz Pentium III) was supposed to be a server.  I got it as payment for a coding project.  It was a bit underpowered for a server but it made a nice workstation.  Anyway, it came with Lan hardware and a built in zip drive.  I never got around to buying another zip disk.  I just used the 100 MB that came with it.  It is too bad the disks were so expensive.  Every time I tried to psych myself up to buy a 250 MB zip disk I thought of other stuff I could really use for the money.

I only used it for quick and dirty file backup.  The capacity just wasn't high enough to back up my system.  Mainly source code file copy.  I don't remember it being bootable either.  That would have made a decent option for a rescue disk if so.

In fact I applied for a job at IOmega.  I remember the interviewer shoving disks in the thing to show me how it worked, before I got the PC with the drive.  Weird how things go.  I never thought there would come a time with floppy free PCs.  I just figured the capacity would increase.  But I guess it is a losing proposition to spin the media if you don't have to.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version