topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Forum feature suggestion: Necromancer alert (very old threads resurrected)  (Read 7002 times)

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a feature that I think would be useful: show a warning/sign/whatever when a certain post in a thread is published more than 6 months/1 year after the previous post in the thread, i.e. when the thread has been "resurrected" by a(n unwitting?) Necromancer  :D
So you notice more clearly that there has been a biiiiiig gap in between posts.

I'm not sure if it can be done, but I decided to throw out the idea nonetheless.

What do you think?
I'll have what she's having

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sounds like a good idea - sometimes people forget to check the date of a thread before posting in it.

Not saying it can't be relevant to revive old threads instead of posting a new one, though, just that a little warning about "Hey, did you remember to check the date?" might be a good idea. Should be easy enough to do, there's already code to warn if somebody has made a reply to thread between you hit "reply" and "post".
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
iirc, there used to be a warning in red letters that said "there hasn't been a reply in 120 (or 180) days, do you want to continue?". not sure if it's still available, though..

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, I was thinking more about a permanent sign in the thread between two posts that are more than 6 months (or whatever) apart. It would be intended more towards the readers of the thread than the poster who resurrects it. So that when you're reading it (probably some time later) you notice more clearly the gap, without having to check the dates of every post.
It could perhaps be implemented by a script (or something similar) that automatically inserts a line or small warning post as threads reach 6 months of age without a post. The next time someone posts in that thread, the line/small warning post would remain there (between the previous post and the new post). Is it too far-fetched?
I'll have what she's having

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How about if you drag up an old thread, your post will be preceded by a post containing this image:D

I am sure that will be quite noticeable.

If that is too large, it could always be a "user" with a similar avatar "posting" a necromancy spell, followed by the newer posts.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
If that is too large, it could always be a "user" with a similar avatar "posting" a necromancy spell, followed by the newer posts.
Haha, that's a nice idea - I love it! :-*
- carpe noctem