topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: Remind me of Clip  (Read 4283 times)

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request: Remind me of Clip
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:39 AM »
Good Morning, Mouser!

I'm hoping you can (somehow?) create the ability where I can be reminded of a specific clip at some point (mins, hrs, days, months) later on.

I'll explain with an example:

I'm in Google Contacts and copy Mr So-and-so's name and phone number to Clipboard Help and Spell.
I'll need to do something with that clip later on, but have no time now.
(Maybe I need to call him, text the info to a friend, etc)

I'd love to be able to capture the string, and add a future date and/or time to have the captured string pop-up, blink the Clipboard Help and Spell icon, or something.
A capture hotkey with advanced options would be awesome.

While I'm at it, perhaps I could rename the capture right then, as well.

And.... uhhhh.... format it, too.
(I love  :-* the formatting tool.  I need a 12-step program for it!!)

Regardless of the possibility of this feature, I want you to know you are my hero and appreciate everything you've done already!
 :D

~ spammy

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request: Remind me of Clip
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Thanks for the nice words..

I'm afraid adding a timed reminder to CHS would be well beyond its scope.
I'm sure folks on the forum can recommend some good simple reminder software.

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Drats.  I had a feelin' you were gonna say somthin' like that....

I have/know of 92 billion simple reminder apps.
But Clipboard Help and Spell is where all my data seems to coagulate...
(Everything is captured by Clipboard Help and Spell, and then I need to disseminate the captures to their ultimate destinations (PIMs, databases, emails, etc))

So removing a step of pasting to a reminder app would be handy.

THAT BEING SAID:

There's an app called Stickies by Zhorn which has an API.
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/api/

Stickies is also on my "can't work without it list", and has a PERFECT reminder function.

And being a Cisco engineer, I know nothing about APIs ;D, so I was wondering if maybe there's a way to make the two apps talk?
If they can, that would make Clipboard Help and Spell *AND* Stickies both Killer Apps.

And you're welcome for the kind words.
You deserve them.

Not often you find a programmer worth their salt, let alone who's nice and writes apps you actually use.

Cheers!

~Spamster

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:48 PM »
@Spamster: You may be able to meet all your requirements by using Wezinc - http://www.wezinc.com
I've been trialling a Wezinc Beta version for a while now, as a Beta tester, and I have to say that it is quite good.
It's a 2 or 3-pane PIM (Personal Information Manager) with date/time alarms and a rather nifty mind-mapping tool for notes arranged in hierarchical categories. Notes are stored in a database using a notebooks metaphor, but they are virtual notebooks and can hold notes that are also in other notebooks (same notes, no duplication) in quite different hierarchical categories.
Wezinc is tied in to the Clipboard too, so anything that goes to the clipboard can be saved in Wezinc as well - images and RTF text + images, plus file attachments, and one can make notes on one's notes...
It might be worth your while taking a look at it, anyway.

spam spam bacon spam

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 10:44 AM »
@IainB

I ran thru it, but it's too lightweight for me.
I use EssentialPIM, which has it's own faults, but it's the best PIM I can find (and believe me, I look! ROFL...)

~Spamster

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 12:37 PM »
@IainB
I ran thru it, but it's too lightweight for me.
I use EssentialPIM, which has it's own faults, but it's the best PIM I can find (and believe me, I look! ROFL...)
~Spamster
-spam spam bacon spam (May 28, 2016, 10:44 AM)
My reason for suggesting Wezinc was that:
  • (a) it is able to automatically collect and save stuff that goes to the Clipboard (if you want it to), and
  • (b) it has a timer/reminder function for saved items similar to what you seem to be looking for, so
  • (c) you could just use Wezinc as an adjunct to CHS (which does not have the timer function you want, and @mouser seems unlikely to build that in).
  • (d) So you could potentially meet your requirement using Wezinc.
In addition, as a PIM, Wezinc is under development/improvement (e.g., beta releases), at/near the beginning of its product life-cycle, and it has a lot of good functionality going for it, whereas Essential PIM would seem to be outmoded and at the end of its life-cycle - e.g., see here: PIM-related Mini-Reviews ("also-ran").
You might also consider using Stickies from zhorn software (zhornsoftware.co.uk), which has a timer/alert functionality.
It's recently been modernised and completely rewritten, with a nice glary UI too...    :huh:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Wezinc is under development/improvement (e.g., beta releases), at/near the beginning of its product life-cycle
I wish they clearly stated whether it's freeware or not, or what sort of license they plan in the future.  Also, it would be nice to see a no-install version for USB sticks etc.  I wonder how you rate Wezinc versus RightNote, but that's rightly a query for another thread.

Essential PIM would seem to be outmoded and at the end of its life-cycle
It's note-keeping features haven't excited me so far, but I dabble a bit with its to-do and calendar.  I really like that it has an Android version, and PC and Android versions can be synced locally, without a cloud account.  I use its contacts a bit on Android, too.  I'm ambivalent about mobile platforms, but they're increasingly popular.