Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 25, 2014, 03:02:09 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Global Text Replacement  (Read 3270 times)
Kruskal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »

I'd like a simple program that would replace all occurrences of a text string with another in all files in a directory.  I've looked around and could only find far more complex utilities with far larger prices.

Bells & Whistles: Options which I could do without:

Only process files with a given extension (or extensions or matching a pattern)
Process subfolders (or not)
Ignore case (or not)

Thanks -- Vincent
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 03:13:21 PM »

Advanced Find and Replace 3 should be able to tackle this (albeit for a price! It's shareware). It's got more features than you're looking for but despite being shareware it's quite cheap ($29.99) for its category.

I'm sure someone here will come along soon, though, with a free/donationware alternative...

One other thought: there is V-Grep, which is postcardware (couldn't find a link to its homepage so Snapfiles will have to do...).

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »

BK ReplaceM can do that you need. It takes a minute or so to understand the interface. Basically you define a group of files, then define phrases and their replacements, then you apply the operations on the group of files.

At its core, ReplaceEm is essentially a text search-and-replace program. However, unlike the search-replace functionality of a standard text editor, ReplaceEm is designed to operate on multiple files at once. And you need not only perform one search-replace operation per file -- you can setup a list of operations to perform. If different groups of files need to have different operations performed on them, this is no problem either. You can also specify a backup file for each file processed just incase the replace operation didn’t do exactly what you wanted.
100% Free!

Works well in practice though. You can also download a trial from Dreamweaver, it's find/replace utility can run on files in a directory (But it won't save them across sessions like BK ReplaceM does.

mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »

Just for completeness, I thnk sed should be mentioned (Win32 version is available in the UnxUtils package: http://sourceforge.net/pr...owfiles.php?group_id=9328).

It's a scriptable text editor from the Unix world.  It's not simple - quite the contrary - it can be a real bugger to figure out how to use.  But, it's free and there's a lot of resources in Google-space on how to use it.  However, I'd only suggest it if you want to set something up that needs to run repeatedly so a scripted solution would be necessary.
mrainey
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:33:55 PM »

PSPad is a freeware Windows programming editor that has all the features you're looking for.

http://www.pspad.com/en/pspad.htm

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:35:54 PM by mrainey » Logged

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com
Kruskal
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »

Thank so much!  I will try ReplaceEm and PSPad.  Sounds great.

Vincent
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »

Vincent - did you look at VGrep? I ask only because I decided to re-download it and take a look. It's got a very simple interface and does all that you require! I'm impressed - set up a folder with a large number of copied text files and then had it replace text within them all and it worked like a charm. Won't work with Office files, for example, but anything with plain text works...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Kruskal
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 01:48:30 PM »

Vincent - did you look at VGrep? I ask only because I decided to re-download it and take a look. It's got a very simple interface and does all that you require! I'm impressed - set up a folder with a large number of copied text files and then had it replace text within them all and it worked like a charm. Won't work with Office files, for example, but anything with plain text works...
VGrap is certainly closer to the limited utility that I was looking for.  I'll look at.  Who knows -- I might really prefer the fancy features of ReplaceEm or PSPad.

Thanks -- Vincent

PS I wonder why I was so unsuccessful in Googling these utilities for myself.  I could find nothing for free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.035s | Server load: 0.11 ]