topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV  (Read 16838 times)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29 AM »
Forget everything I thought I wanted. Everyone's help was greatly appreciated, but I have made the decision that my website will be a custom build of the danbooru image board software.
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Designing Personal Sites - Programming POV
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15 AM »
Yet the site itself resembles nothing like that anymore. I will have to consult archive.org for closer inspection.
The new version uses WPPropeller - https://wppropeller.com/.  That's one of the benefits of using a platform- the ability to easily update your style.  You can stay in Divi- or move to something else- a lot easier than rolling your own from scratch.  And WPProppeller underneath uses Divi for its functionality.

There has to be a certain critical mass around programs IMO.  Just having programs with no descriptions on a site, and nothing around them won't lead to people using them from my experience.
Well, I mean I'd have some sort of text describing the program, but not some kind of instruction manual.

You might be able to get away with that.  Some do.  But usually only with the audience created somewhere else.

Take a look at mousers pages for his software.  When you download them, you know exactly what the features are, and why you should try them.  Mere descriptions don't help with that.  And not having a help file or some sort is IMO a mistake.