ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

System tray notification of remote computer status

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
I had a very good friend and business partner whom I trusted implicitly and who was entrusted with sole responsibility for managing the bank (capital loan) accounts and reconciling them - a job I detested and was happy to assign to her, and I ignored SAPs (Standard Accounting Procedures).
I was thus more than a little surprised to discover some years later that said partner had apparently, over the first 20 months of the partnership, quietly misappropriated approx. $60,000 of capital. This had been done by the simple expedient of having all statements and correspondence from the bank sent to her personal address, and filing them in a "secure" filing cabinet offsite. She would occasionally ask me questions about what to do with certain transactions and would even insist that I make certain online transactions, presumably so that it would look as though I was in full knowledge/approval of what was going on. When I asked out of interest to see an account statement, it was always "locked up in the offsite safe for security" or something. So I never saw them.

The lesson I had to learn is one that banks are only too familiar with: That some otherwise seemingly quite good and honest people - whom you could have (say) even entrusted with your life - seem to be susceptible to temptation by easy access to pools of money, and it changes them and they become dishonest.
Since you can never know in advance who will be susceptible, the best approach is not to present them with temptation in the first place - hence the SAPs.

If it's your business, then you - like me - would be an idiot not to implement proper SAPs, knowing this.

It thus made me smile when you wrote:
...Ours however is a small family business, and we know each other extremely well; I should have mentioned that the girl that prints the checks is in fact my sister. ...

--- End quote ---
- as though what you wrote actually substantiated anything/something of what you were saying, but it doesn't, you see and it's irrational to think that it does. It is a logical fallacy, a non sequitur ("it does not follow"; or irrelevant conclusion).

Stoic Joker:
The darker sides of human nature aside... It seems that there is already an existing issue with the check media being accidentally used for other print jobs. So being that I work for a rather large MPS (Managed Print Services) company, I've run across this type of thing before. Frequently with doctor's offices and narcotics prescription forms (you want to talk about "Tightly Controlled" forms..).

The industry standard solution to this is to have one drawer of a printer - frequently locked (as a nod to Iain) - that has it paper type set to something other than plain paper (preprinted forms usually). This prevents to printer from selecting media from that tray "accidentally" - usually because the other tray(s) have run out. Then a specific 'Special Form Printer' instance of the driver is installed with its - in printer preferences - paper type set to the media type that was configured on the target printers forms drawer.

That way only one preordained person has legitimate access to that print option eliminating the need for convoluted shenanigans that require people to remember to look for something before doing something...which is incredibly disruptive to everyone's workflow.

Just a Thought.. ;) :D

c.gingerich:
It would be the first. Having a 3rd system that would be the server where the Server App (running on her system) and the Client App (running on the other systems) would be located.

javadecaf:
Thanks, Stoic Joker.  :) Totally agree that the  simple solution you suggested would be more  ideal. Did some experimenting with the printer; it prints great but configuration options are a bit lacking. If I send a job to the main paper tray, and a page is is in the manual feeder, it will print the first page of that job from the manual feeder, even if I've set the manual feeder size/type and the paper tray size/type to different sizes. It's such a good multi-function otherwise we hate to upgrade at this time. I suppose that's just the difference between the small office printer and the expensive printers you find in larger corporate settings.

javadecaf:
As to the server, we do currently have a computer on the LAN we can use for that notification utility. It's running Windows 7 right now although I may want to upgrade it to 10 before long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version